Last month we published a link to the recipes for the tasty soup that was served at our Lenten Soup Supper. Unfortunately two of the recipes published were incorrect. We apologize for the mistake and bring the correct recipes as follows:
Spicy Thai Carrot Sweet Potato Soup
This recipe makes 8 cups (2 L) or 4 servings
1 Tbsp coconut oil
2 cups diced sweet onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp. minced fresh ginger
2 Tbsp red curry paste
4 cups low sodium vegetable broth (more actually), or chicken broth
1/4 cup almond or peanut butter (if using peanut, use peanuts only kind)
3 cups diced peeled carrots
3 cups diced peeled sweet potatoes
1/2 tsp sea salt,
or to taste 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (optional, but I always use it) freshly ground pepper Toppings: minced fresh cilantro, lime wedges
1. Prepare all the ingredients before starting to cook
2. In a large pot, melt the coconut oil over medium heat.
3. Add the onion, garlic, and ginger and saute for 5-6 minutes, until the onion is translucent.
4. Stir in the curry paste.
5. In a small bowl, whisk together some of the broth with the almond butter until smooth. Add the mixture to the pot, along with the remaining broth, carrots, sweet potatoes, salt and cayenne. Stir until combined.
6. Bring the soup to a low boil over medium-high heat and then reduce the heat to medium low. Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes, until the potatoes and carrots are fork tender.
7. Ladle the soup carefully into a blender in batches. With the lid slightly ajar to allow steam to escape, blend on low and slowly increase the speed until the soup is completely smooth. It will be quite thick!
8. Return the soup to the pot, season with salt and pepper and reheat. At this point, I always add quite a bit more stock as the thickness of this soup is more like porridge than soup.
9. top with minced cilantro and a squeeze of lime.
This soup will keep in the fridge for up to a week, and freezes well fro 1-2 months. Enjoy!
Slow Cooker Broccoli Cheese Soup
Prep Time 15 mins, Cook Time 4 hours, Total Time 4 hours 15 mins, Serves: 4-6
Rich n' creamy easy slow cooker broccoli cheese soup.
* 4 tablespoons butter
* 5 tablespoons flour
* 3 cups milk (I like fat free half & half, use your favorite. The higher the fat content - such as heavy cream - the creamier and richer your soup will be)
* 3 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth for vegetarian)
* ½ onion, diced
* 3-4 cups chopped broccoli florets (just the bushy tops - discard the stems or use them for another recipe)
* 1 tablespoon minced garlic
* 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
* 2 ounces cream cheese
* 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese (yellow)
* 2 teaspoons salt (or to taste)
* 1-4 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
* optional: extra cheese for topping
1. In a large sauce pan, melt butter over medium heat. When melted, stir in the flour until mixture clumps up. Very gradually whisk in the milk until all milk has been added and a thick white sauce forms.
2. Add chopped onions, broccoli, garlic, Italian seasoning, and cream cheese to your slow cooker. Add the sauce from the pan, and the chicken broth. Stir to combine. Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 4-6 hours.
3. Uncover soup and add the sharp cheddar cheese, salt, and pepper. Stir until the cheese melts into the soup. Taste and add salt and pepper if needed.
Serve warm and top with additional shredded cheese if desired. Enjoy!