Dear StJPII Families,
As I mentioned in the video, I am so deeply saddened by the recent events that have had such a disastrous impact on our community. The vast majority of our families live in the areas that have been hardest hit by Hurricane Harvey. If this situation has taught us anything, it is that with the Lord’s help, together we will overcome. Your safety and well-being are my biggest concern. It will be a continual process to get our communities functioning again. With that in mind, here are a few things I would like you to know:
- Our campus appears to be dry. Provided that I can get there this weekend, I will do so to assess any potential damages.
- We are working on forming lists of our families who have been impacted by the flooding. This includes our teachers. We are hoping to have a teacher meeting on Monday to make plans for when school resumes.
- If we do have a teacher meeting on Monday, then we could also open to accept uniform and school supply donations…more to come on that.
- We can only start school if we have enough teachers. At this point, I am honestly unsure if we will be able to open for class on Tuesday.
- My prayer is that we will open StJPII early next week as a loving safe-haven for our children. Having children secured means parents can focus on rebuilding. It’s been very difficult to assess the extent of damages that our families have suffered. We won’t truly be able to know who is in need, and how we can serve you, until we open our doors. If you are unable to get your children to school, we understand.
- Please do not worry about uniforms. We will have a school supply / uniform drive and free dress for 2 weeks upon reopening.
- Likewise, please do not concern yourself with absences. Our goal is to get children back to a safe and loving environment, provided that is best for your family.
- The Texas Education Agency has waived at least this week so we will not have to make up the days we have already missed.
- Also, please do not be anxious about grades. Once I can meet with the teachers, we will figure out ways to help our children and adjust the curriculum accordingly.
- Once we do open, a counselor will be available to help the children with adjustment and emotional well-being.
- We realize many of you have connected on social media, but please make sure to centralize your concerns to email@example.com. This will ensure that we don’t miss any of your needs. Once we return, our teachers and staff will be in touch with you also.
- Please stay tuned to IRIS alerts about when we will try to restart school. More details will follow about the logistics of what time we will open/close, BASP, extracurricular activities, cafeteria services, etc.
Thank you for your outpouring of support. There are so many who have offered assistance to those in need. We will help connect our families with shelter, carpooling, contractors, etc.…we will rebuild together.
I will continue to pray for each and every one of you.