Dear St. John Paul II Community,

Hurricane season in Houston is a time that can bring anxiousness to our families. As we continue to make preparations for Tropical Storm Harvey, I want you to know that I will be closely monitoring the weather in order to make the necessary decisions for the safety of our entire community.
I, along with my administrative team, understand that our decision to open, close or delay school can have a big impact on our families. We also understand that our students are better served academically by being in school. However, the safety and well-being of our students is always our top priority.

How Do We Make the Decision?
Please know that we make the decision to open or close the school in bad weather based on the information we know as fact at the time. This may include:
  • Weather predictions - at StJPII, we prefer to not make our decision based only on the forecast, since it is not always accurate.
  • Are neighboring ISDs closing? We will consider how HISD, KISD, and/or Spring Branch ISD are handling the situation and then make our determination based on what is best for StJPII.
  • Current weather and road conditions in the area surrounding school. 

Who Makes the Final Decision?
As the Principal, I am responsible for the final decision, based on the several factors I have shared above. Rest assured, these decisions are made prayerfully for the safety of our entire community.

How are Parents Notified? 
If school needs to be closed or delayed, you will receive an IRIS alert the morning of, hopefully no later than 5:30 a.m. Additionally, we will post messages on our Facebook page.

Although my staff and I do our very best in making these decisions, we know there is no perfect choice. If you feel, based on current weather conditions near your home that it is not safe for your child(ren) to attend school, then please send a note to your teacher(s).

We hope this message helps families better understand our approach to inclement weather. St. Medard, pray for us!
In Him we trust,