Present: Gay Adams, Julie Nygaard, Karen Breckinridge, Paula Hague, John Shaver, Nancy Eidam, Kathy Christensen, Grace Martin, Martha Woodland and Natalie Woodland
: Shirley Champion,
Diane Pixlee and Erin Silver
Meeting called to order at 7:35pm
Reminder that there are two openings on the board and to invite people to join.
Julie asked for a vote to approve the January Meeting Minutes. Karen moved to approve the minutes as submitted. Paula seconded. Minutes approved.
Financial Report as of 1-31-19 - Karen Breckinridge:
$5,623.14 General Checking account
$25,490.77 Savings account
$3,853.45 Futurity account
$13,765.00 Nancy Falk Trust Donation-Restricted Funds
$8,874.73 OMC account
$159.88 PayPal Online Payments
$2,837.97 Fixed Assets
Total Assets after reconciliations $60,877.94
Karen noted that our Accounts Receivables are now at $632.00; this is down from last months total of
$824.00. Great job Karen! The IRS now has our taxes for the 2018 tax year.
Show Committee - Paula Hague & Nancy Eidam
Paula will connect with Joan Shelton-Palelek to get the premium booklets ready. Gay would like to preview it before printing as she will be adding Futurity and Stallion Auction information.
Paula is pricing coolers and ordering ribbons and plaques.
The Oregon Horse Center has some new rules. The most important one that could affect our show
being no food on the Mezzanine; this is where we usually have our party. Also, we would like the new owners of the restaurant to provide the main dish for our party meal. Further discussion will be had.
The most important aspect of putting on the OMC show is our sponsorships. Nancy would like to thank everyone that helped put on last years show. She stressed the importance of going into a business face to face to ask for a Corporate sponsorship rather than sending a letter, e-mail or cold calling. The personal touch seems to work so much better. There was further discussion about offering signage banners in the paddock area as incentive; ‘What can they get out of it?’ At rodeos the PBR
hutes are covered with banners of sponsors. Signage could be offered as an alternative when a Corporate sponsor says no, but is willing to pay a nominal fee of say $65.00 for a banner
with a class sponsorship ($15 more for the banner). Again, we would put them around the warm up ring, not in the main ring.
Tony Lee will
be creating our TV
loop that runs
on the Mezzanine. Another place for sponsors to get some recognition. It will also include our stallions from the auction as well as ads for the professionals that sponsor and advertise in the premium booklet.
It was decided that there would be a form letter sent to the board members to help in approaching potential Corporate and patron sponsors. It should be simple and to the point… including what, where and when. It will also have information as to the different levels of sponsorship offered
for both Patron and Corporate sponsors. Gay said a letter and sponsorship packages have already been created. She will forward to all Board members. Board members are to coordinate their calls thru Paula.
Hi Point Committee - Gay Adams for Erin Silver
We have made a change to the Open Award Categories narrowing it down to 7 awards. We have leeway to expand to give awards for a sub-category if there is sufficient competition. Information has been posted in the Stable Sheet & will be posted again in March & June.
Spring Clinic Committee - Gay Adams for Erin Silver
It was reported that all of the
slots for the clinic are full. So far 30 auditors have also signed up.
Board members going are Karen, (Jim and Sierra), Kathy, Julie, Gay, Nancy, Erin (and Mike, maybe David) and Diane.
There will be a
membership meeting no longer than 1 hour from 1:30 to 2:30 following lunch.
Gay asked that Committee Chairs keep their reports very brief – keep meeting under an hour if at all possible.
Kathy C. will be helping with lunch. This event has been advertised on Facebook in the Salem- Newberg & Hillsboro area.
Banquet Committee - Gay Adams for Erin Silver
This years Awards Banquet will
at the Mission Mill
in Salem on November 10, 2019. This is a change from the originally stated date of November 3, 2019.
Youth Committee - Grace Martin and Natalie Woodland
There will be a
Newsletter coming out with articles on Saddleseat, Huntseat and Dressage.
They are also working on some Equine coloring pages for younger children.
Allison Deardorff about the Cyberspace Classic shows.
said she was too busy to run
them this year but she would be happy to help
get some started. She also volunteered to be a judge. There is a facebook page for Cyber shows and anyone can join in and participate in them. Grace
is going to participate in one this month and will have more information to report next meeting. These existing cyper shows are just for
Youth 17 and under.
If anyone can participate, maybe we could find a way to fit into what is already going on. Investigation will continue.
a Scavenger Hunt
and Breyer Horse Show activities for children; painting and showing their model horses. She will work with Diane & Paula.
Stallion Auction Committee - Gay Adams
Nominations closed with
22 Stallions listed. There are 8 bids already
before online bidding was in place.
is set up and Shane said there have been 125 hits so far going between both
sites even before an eblast announcing it.
The ads were out earlier this year which might account for the great response. Thanks again goes out to Leslie Arnould for her networking
at Nationals that helped
in getting some phenomenal stallions for the auction this year. Gay would like some phone help with the bidding after the membership board meeting.
Futurity Committee - Gay Adams
horses have been re-nominated out of 41 possible up for renewal. Two new foals have been added.
Eight others should be renewed per their owners. Two have dropped. There has not been a response on Thirteen horses.
Reminders will go out after the auction is over.
Promotion Committee - Martha Woodland
thinking about going
live on an Eugene radio station to talk about the MHAO show in June to encourage people to come
to the promotional event at the show and to come
out and watch
There has been contact with Liz McNealy about how to
invite OHSET participants also.
A discussion was had about having representatives from our MHAO organization participate in the 4
of July Parade in Harrisburg.
There was some concern about liability. Board discussed. Our insurance company has been notified about the event for coverage. Martha made motion to participate in the parade. Julie seconded. The Board voted to continue with that idea.
Nancy mentioned that there are some banners and saddle blankets that Joan Bowers had made years ago. They should be in the trailer that will be at the Eugene show. Martha will find them and decide if they are useable
and look for signage as well.
It was noted that a $300 grant was received from AMHA for promotion.
Membership Committee- Kathy Christensen
Reminder for board members to get their dues in… Julie (haha). Reminder renewal postcards will be going out soon. When a person renews there is a thank you and a packet sent out. Dues are $30.00 for individuals and $35.00 for a family. Currently we do not have a category for Academy but will work on that for 2020.
Trail/Ride/Drive Program -
Gay Adams for
This program has recently been clarified. A
ny time spent in the saddle
can be logged
with the exception of time competing under the judge at a Morgan horse show.
When you are riding
or driving on the trail,
at home, during lessons,
or just practicing alone… it all adds up!
Time warming up at Morgan shows or practicing at the show counts. All time at an Open Show (even being judged) counts. Ground work, time grooming, etc does not count. Everyone that rides or drives should get enrolled.
Open Incentive - John Shaver
John will post a reminder to members in the March Stable Sheet and then again every couple months
to try to get more people
to use this program.
Website/Stable Sheet- Gay Adams
No news to
report on Stable Sheet. Gay will be getting more updated forms etc to Dallas soon for the website.
Karen Breckenridge reported on the AMHA convention. She loved the tour to the Twisted Rose Ranch. The two clinics offered, Western and Driving, were wonderful. The private tour of SeaWorld was great
but super cold. All in all it was a fun convention with great people that love their Morgan horses.
A discussion was had about the USEF safe sport testing that is now required.
-test will take approximately 1.5 to 2 hours to complete online. Everyone needs to do it.
-trainers feel they will be guilty before being tried. A person can submit a grievance before having evidence. A disgruntled client can file a claim out of anger. The Investigators of complaints are ex-policemen or FBI. There has been some talk about having a separate governing body.
A letter has been sent
to USEF about collective concerns & suggestions. The letter will be included in the March Stable Sheet.
There was talk about GPS not getting us all the way to Shelley’s Northwest Morgans farm for the clinic. There should be Signs to follow and directions will be posted in
the March newsletter. The
General Membership Meeting is scheduled to start
at 1:30 on March 9
2019 in Hillsboro, Oregon preceded by the Spring Clinic & lunch
& followed by the Stallion Service Auction.
Next regular Board meeting is April 17
at 7:30pm via conference call.
Meeting was adjourned at 8:56.
Julie Nygaard, MHAO Secretary