Gay Adams, Julie Nygaard, Karen Breckenridge, Kathy Christensen, Karen Weiderman, Shirley Champion, Mary Grimes, Martha Woodland, Doana Anderson, Natalie Woodland and Becky Bean
Erin Silver, Grace Martin, Diane Pixlee and Nancy Eidam
Conference call - Called to order at 7:34pm
Kathy C made a motion to approve the January minutes as submitted, it was seconded by Karen B. They were voted on and approved.
TREASURER’S REPORT – Karen Breckenridge
General Checking Account $13,850
Savings Account $25,496
Futurity Account $ 4,570
Nancy Falk Trust Donation $12,765
OMC Checking Account $16,063
Total Fixed Assets $ 2,007
PayPal Online Account $ 193
Other Current Assets $ 273
TOTAL ASSETS $75,217
Karen reported that we are showing a negative $106 on the Net Income line which is normal for this time of year due to getting ready for OMC & the SSA. A/R has a new total of $350. After collecting a past debt of $100. Dollars. There are 3 outstanding bills still to collect on.
SCHOLARSHIP – Mary Grimes
Mary reported that she has created a letter to send to the Salem Capital Press about the Alex Mooney Scholarship that MHAO is offering.
Summary of the letter-
Dear Mr. Beech, A brand new scholarship is being offered. Must be a resident of Oregon, member of the MHAO club, full-time student with at least 12 credits 2.8 GPA.
It was asked why putting information in the Salem Capital Press. Mary said that the Agriculture information goes out to all Oregon Readers and is free advertising. We will reach FFA, OHSET and 4-H students which may help draw more youth to our club and help us find those riding Morgan horses that are not members of MHAO. Once finalized, information on our Scholarship Program will be added to our website.
There was discussion about the fund raising for this scholarship. The Balloon idea that has been brought up may not work at our annual awards banquet, because of the low number of attendees. Mary suggested having each member donate an extra $5 each year. There will be further discussion on how to fund and fundraise for the scholarship. We have enough in the fund for this year and next year so we can move forward granting one this year.
There was discussion about the criteria with concern whether it fit with the many ways people attend college or obtain additional education in today’s world. It was decided to broaden what might qualify. It was decided we would include “secondary education”. Payment of the scholarship will go to the institution the recipient is using, not directly to the recipient. More discussion will follow. Martha made a motion to accept the concept and Karen W. seconded; it was approved.
The deadline for applications is set for April 15
, with the scholarship being awarded in late May or June. The recipient is to be announced at OMC. The president will make corrections to the program outline and after Mary’s approval, send it out to the board with a new criteria section.
SHOW COMMITTEE – Karen Breckenridge
The medallions have been ordered. The order was for 500. The price was cut down greatly by ordering 500 rather than 250. The extra 10% was given as a special for that time of year and it ended up paying for the shipping costs.
It will cost us only a small amount more this year but save us considerably in the years ahead. Belt buckles for Working Western are the same price as last year. The coolers and leather halters are ordered and shipped. Karen had some old trophy’s revamped with new plaques and the provider only charged $1 each for a savings of $65 for one award and $35 for the Jr. Exhibitor division. Thank you, Karen, for your thriftiness.
Some bad news – the show has lost Avalon as the show photographer due to a scheduling change for the show she is serving before ours. Nancy Harvey is working to find another photographer. We still need a photographer for Ranch, Trail, Reining and Dressage classes. It was suggested to talk with Amy Tabor for ideas.
Karen will be e-mailing Sara and Sally about the Alex Mooney class that will be held during our show, as to which class they would like to see it presented for this year.
HI POINT COMMITTEE – Gay Adams for Erin Silver
The divisions will remain the same as last year except for the Jr. Exhibitor Classic and English Pleasure will be combined. There were low numbers in these classes last year. Western Dressage, Ranch and Reining will each be a separate category in the Open division, the same as awarded in 2019.
EDUCATION/SPRING CLINIC - Gay Adams for Erin Silver
Reminder to auditors to sign up. Only one rider position still open. There will be a Facebook push this week and the ad will go out in the Northwest Rider magazine. The clinic has been added to the calendars posted by Flying Changes and the Oregon Horse Council. Julie Adams, our clinician, will arrive the Friday before the clinic. Her hotel still needs to be booked. Those needing stalls will pay a fee of $25 each paid directly to Rhea. Julie’s stall will be free to her.
Commitments from board members that will be present for the General Membership meeting over the lunch hour are Karen Breckenridge, Kathy Christensen, Martha and Natalie Woodland, Gay Adams and Erin Silver. Julie Nygaard will be out of town and minutes will be taken by a wonderful volunteer.
YOUTH COMMITTEE – Gay Adams for Diane Pixlee
It was reported that we are not moving forward with the Cyber Shows this year.
A Youth newsletter doesn’t look like it will be started. A Youth Facebook page was suggested. Natalie Woodland agreed to be the administrator and to set Grace up to be one as well.
The Youth of the Year, schedule of times, for the OMC show will be determined once the show classes are set. Coolers and Plaques will be ordered soon. The Youth Pizza Party was dropped last year due to there being an all exhibitors Pizza Party. Per Karen we are still looking at an all exhibitor pizza party again this year. It was mentioned by someone who had been at the center recently that the food service on the grounds has not improved. Karen will continue to work with them and to look for ways we can feed exhibitors. Diane has asked Sierra Breckenridge to help put on the Carrot class and she has accepted.
STALLION SERVICE AUCTION – Gay Adams
We have 20 stallions, but no colorful stallions donated to the auction this year. If anyone has a suggestion of someone willing to donate a breeding, notify Gay.
Online bidding is available. We have 3 bids so far!
FUTURITY COMMITTEE – Gay Adams
Renewals will be sent out in February due back by March 31
MEMBERSHIP COMMITTEE – Doana Anderson
So far, we have 62 members renewed for 2020, 11 of which are Life members. Reminders will be sent out to those who have not renewed yet as Doana can. Gay asked that until our membership is available on our website that a spreadsheet showing our current members be distributed to the Board monthly.
RIDE/DRIVE PROGRAM & OPEN INCENTIVE -Shirley Champion
Shirley was wondering about the origin/History of these two programs. The President said that good resources to talk to would be Leanne Roth and Carol Dombrowsky for the Ride/Drive program and Doana Anderson for the Open Incentive. Although the number using them is fairly low, they are programs that offer benefits to members who may not attend typical shows.
There was discussion about purchasing baseball hats with the ride/drive logo on them to give to people upon enrollment to the Ride/Drive program. They could add their patches to them over time. It would be a great way to promote Morgans! More discussion to follow and we need to see what the cost will be.
WEBSITE/STABLESHEET - Gay, Becky and Karen W
There was a discussion about the new format of the Stable Sheet. It is supposed to be better for those reading the newsletter via their phone. The February issue debuted Becky & Karen as editors for membership news. Gay mentioned she liked the articles written by Becky and Karen W. They are trying to shorten so there won’t be so much scrolling.
Information on the Scholarship Program needs to be added to the website once approved.
OMC section still needs to be updated as well.
OPEN DISCUSSION –
The Oregon Bucket for the Morgan Grand National that has been donated and put together in the past by Deb Stevenson and Sally Plumley needs new volunteers. Julie Nygaard will be reaching out to them for some information as to what they have put in it and the cost.
The Far-West MOU was discussed mostly via email, then a decision finalized at the Board meeting. Gay read a letter she drafted to send to FarWest c/o Marli Perry. The letter basically requests the MOU be dissolved within 30 days and that what is in FarWest’s possession is theirs. Most if not all the leaders of FarWest are members of MHAO, and we value them too much to make this worth any disagreement.
Nancy has rented 2 storage units. Karen Breckenridge will be helping Nancy move and will get an idea of how much material there is for the club to store to preserve historical Morgan and club information. She will let the Board know.
We are looking for donors or a way to have wine for the thank you baskets we give to our show sponsors. It was suggested that Board members or volunteers go to Wine festivals on the last day to ask for donations. Traditionally the vendors don’t want to haul their stock in and out of festivals. Two and a half cases is what is usually needed for the Sponsor baskets. Gay stated she could use another case of two for the futurity. Anything extra could go into the Oregon basket for the MGN or the Silent Auction at OMC.
The meeting was adjourned at 9:05 PM
Julie Nygaard – MHAO Secretary