: Gay Adams, Julie Nygaard, Karen Breckinridge, Martha Woodland, Paula Hague, Diane Pixlee, Grace Martin, Shirley Champion, and Erin Silver
Kathy Christensen, Nancy Eidam, Natalie Woodland and John Shaver
Meeting was called to order by the President, Gay Adams at 7:36pm
Financial Report as of March 31, 2019 – Karen Breckinridge
$21,339. General Checking Account
$25,492. Savings Account
$5,218. Futurity Account
$13,765. Nancy Falk Trust donation- Restricted Funds
$8,439. OMC Account
After reconciliation: $74,685 = Total Cash
$2,838. Fixed Assets
$77,524.= Total Assets
There are 4 people left to collect from on Accounts Receivable. 2 people have said they will send checks which should bring our balance to $200.00 It is currently at $400.00. We are so proud of you Karen and your diligence on this. OMC sponsorship checks are beginning to trickle in.
- Paula Hague
Nancy and Paula are working on Sponsorships. Everyone on the board needs to step up and ask businesses that they frequent such as your local feed store, bedding provider, etc to be a sponsor. Letters have been sent out to all of last year’s sponsors except for some of Nancys’ contacts that she will talk to personally. The Prize list for the OMC will be out soon and plans are to take it to the Key Classic show and approach people there about Sponsorships. The Ads in the Prize list pay for the printing of it. We are working on 13 ads for the Professional Directory section. There are still a few who have not sent in their ads yet. They will have their ads put on the TV loop on the Mezzanine also.
Ribbons, Coolers and Plaques have all been ordered. 2 weeks before the show the plants will be purchased.
Social Events planned so far
Tuesday evening –
there will be a Morgan Horse promotion event
Anyone willing to help, please contact Martha Woodland.
Spaghetti dinner. This year we will ask people to purchase $10.00 tickets for the dinner. The Oregon Horse Center is not providing the dinner for free this year.
There will be a progressive dinner on the Mezzanine. Pulled Pork will be provided by MHAO and exhibitors will be asked to bring a dish to share. The progressive dinner will all be on the mezzanine this year. We will also have the Bouncy Ball races there during that time. This was a huge hit last year and there will be 3 divisions this year; Amateur owners, Youth, and Trainers. Working on prizes for the winners
. Saturday –
Pizza party for everyone.
There may be other things including some type of ice cream social. Still discussing and working with the Youth committee.
The silent auction will again be inside the restaurant with better signage. This is so the donations will be protected and locked up for the night. The TV will also be available for the TV Loop and will run continuously on the Mezzanine by the Sponsorship tables.
Paula mentioned that the Carriage Division is open to all breeds this year and there are some Pony owners that were thrilled and will be entering those classes. Dressage is still Morgans only for this year. We may open it up next year to increase our numbers.
We have at least one barn coming from California (Megan Gallagher). They have reserved 20 stalls. We are thankful for her making the trip.
Our Host Hotel is a different one this year and you should make your reservations as soon as possible. It will still be $89.00 per night but you need to mention both the Oregon Horse Center and The Oregon Morgan Classic to get the special rate. The Hotel is the Holiday Inn Express and is across the street from last years Hotel. Contact number is 541-746-8471. Joan S. is the contact person with the block of rooms at the Hotel.
There will again be a drawing for $500 to a trainer and $500 to an owner as incentive for coming to the show.
The stick horse contest was not well attended last year and no one showed up for the parade. It was discussed to have coloring and crafts at a table in the Mezzanine, instead. There may also be T-shirt decorating for the Youth, 17 and under, and free ice cream.
Gay Adams will be talking to McConnell Tack Shop about being a Vendor and any other possible businesses that would like to come as Vendors.
- Erin Silver
Forms have been coming in to register for end of year Hi-Point awards. Erin has also had some results sent to her from Open shows. She is looking in Magazines and catalogs for award ideas.
Education/Spring Clinic Committee
- Erin Silver
The Spring Clinic was a huge success. The topic of Ranch riding was a great choice, with lots of interest in it. We were sold out on rides with about 50 there to audit. We probably could have filled a full day clinic schedule. $900.00 was grossed for the day, with a profit to MHAO after expenses of about $200. Erin would like the board members to come up with topic ideas for next year. A discussion was had about the timing of the clinic for next year and Gay informed the board that per the By-Laws the General Membership meeting needs to be held before the end of April. Timing for a clinic is not addressed in the By-Laws. So March and April dates will be fine no matter how we combine things for the Clinic, General Membership meeting, & Stallion Service Auction.
Award Banquet Committee
- Erin Silver
The award banquet is set for the Willamette Heritage Center, The Dye House in Salem, on November 10, 2019. They were not available on November 3
. The certificate of Insurance for the event will need to have the date changed and Gay said she would take care of that and get the facility a copy.
- Grace Martin and Diane Pixlee
Grace suggested an AMHA Breyer Horse show with the young children at OMC. She reported that the Scavenger hunt at the show she recently attended was not successful. Gay suggested that the Youth committee finalize their plans and get the info posted in the premium booklet before it comes out so everyone knows what the Youth activities are. Grace and Diane Pixlee will talk and work with the Show Committee.
Diane reported on the Youth Newsletter and said that the articles are ready to go but that her computer program is not working correctly. Gay reminded her that the program MHAO uses for the Stable Sheet can handle up to 10 users and is available if she likes. It is for an on-line newsletter.
Diane asked for help running the Youth of the Year competition. Karen Breckenridge suggested giving Sierra Breckenridge a call and mentioned that Jim Breckenridge will be a judge for the speeches again this year. More help is needed if anyone knows of anyone else willing to help. Please have them call Diane.
Stallion Service Auction
- Gay Adams
There were 3 or 4 SSA silent auction items donated in support of the Futurity that did not sell at the clinic in March. The show committee has given permission for these items to be offered in the OMC Silent Auction but they need to be clearly notated as benefiting the Futurity, not the show.
All but 3 stallions out of 21 were sold. Leslie Arnould was instrumental in making this auction such a huge success this year by her new advertising branding and the flyers she created. She also visited different barns at Nationals and passed out copies of the Futurity Booklet. Thank you Leslie!
Gay brought up the question of whether we should have a separate event for the live auction or keep it as a phone crew. Only 2 or 3 of the bidders were actually from Oregon, 2 from Washington, and 2 from California. This is thought to not be enough to generate a well attended in person event. There was a discussion on whether we should keep the clinic, general membership meeting, and Stallion Service Auction all as one event. Based on the success of this years event the Board thought it should be left as one event.
The number of horses participating in the Futurity at this time is 35 with only three 2019 foals nominated or going to be nominated so far. This is lower than the total of 50 horses we had by the end of the year in 2018. That said, foals are only now being born and more may come in. Participation in the Futurity classes at OMC this year appears to be higher if everyone comes that says they will. Growth is in the # showing in the Futurity performance classes. With 35 horses in the futurity, it looks like we will have 14 classes, 17 horses showing, & 19 class entries.
There has been a change to when Futurity nominations and re-nominations are due. For nominations, the deadline is December 31
in the year the foal is born. After that a $100 late fee will apply instead of the normal $45 nomination fee. The exception is if they want to show the foal as a weanling. Then the foal needs to be nominated and a declaration fee for a Futurity class paid before the OMC close date. For the $25 renewal fee, the due date has moved from December 31
each year to the following March 31
. This year we have given people until April 30
without a late fee for renewals. People got bogged down with all the late snowy weather.
An event is planned for the day before the Oregon Morgan Classic show begins – Tuesday, June 18
, 6:00- 7:30. The goal is to have about 50 people attend. Martha is talking with Leslie Arnould to create a flyer and will invite local OHSET, 4-H kids, Schools and Stables. It will begin with watching a youth riding demonstration in the arena. It is a promotion for Morgan horses only. Lists will be provided of Morgan trainers that are accepting clients &/or giving lessons and possibly some of the trainers at the show could give a brief educational talk. She will get it all coordinated. Next, everyone attending will be invited to go to specific stall areas for refreshments and some hands on introductions to Morgan horses. There will be a table set up with promotional Morgan information/brochures, etc… and also a list of current Morgan horses for sale.
Gay Adams for Kathy Christensen
Kathy sent a report that we have 72 members currently. Kathy sent out reminders to those who hadn’t renewed yet with very little response. Gay will get an updated membership spreadsheet so she can personally reach out to those not renewed yet. List will be shared with the Board for use in their committee work.
Dallas Bolen doesn’t see how the membership database can be put on our website without a large cost. Gay, Kathy, and Dallas will keep looking into this idea. Meantime, we may need to create & print a new directory. As Gay makes calls for sponsorships or the TV loop ads she will ask for ads for the directory to help cover some of the printing cost.
- Shirley Champion
Shirley had a question as to who has the patches and awards for the Ride/Drive program. She was referred to Leanne Roth and Carol Dombrowsky. Gay suggested that all of the board members who ride or drive should enroll in this program. Shirley has received some logs and enrollments, but very few. We need to continue to promote this program with our MHAO members.
– Gay for John Shaver
John sent a report that 5 or 6 request forms have come in so far. Per Karen, 2 checks were written this month. It appears we are having more participation in this program this year.
– Gay Adams
Gay asked all Board members to look at the Website. It is very informative, and it is current.
Gay reported that Ami Erickson has not been returning her calls or posting anything for the Stable Sheet. Gay is again looking for anyone interested in helping. Referrals to people are welcome. We have expanded our capabilities for the number of people who can utilize the Constant Contact program at one time, but that has increased our cost. We need people to advertise in the newsletter. Rates are very reasonable at $25 per month for a full page ad, and $70.00 for 3 months. For a business card ad it is only $10.00 per year!
Alex Mooney Tribute Discussion
Suggestions were brought up on how to honor Alex Mooney who passed away in early April. It was decided to create a memorial trophy in honor of Alex that the winner would receive & keep. The trophy would have some information about Alex and her life on the trophy. The family is to choose what class they want the award for. English Pleasure Ladies Championship was discussed by the Board. The family would be asked to present the award each year. Whatever class the family chooses would be renamed to be the Alex Mooney Memorial Class.
Gay talked to Sara before the Board meeting. Sara would like Alex’s journey/story to be told and Cystic Fibrosis information to be made available. Erin suggested besides placing a jar in the office for donations to CFF, we also give a percentage of the profit from the show to the cause. Historically, the show has not always been profitable. Other ideas were discussed but nothing was decided during the meeting.
An email vote was taken after the meeting and it was decided to donate $250 to CFF now. To have a donation jar at the show to go to CFF. And everyone is to bring ideas to the May Board meeting to see what else we might do.
Most of the Hi-Point OMC awards are self-explanatory, but Diane had a question about what qualifies someone for the Versatile Hi-Point award. Diane will talk to Margaret or Kelly McFaul for the answer. That information will be made available to competitors at the show. We will try to get it into the premium booklet as well if time allows.
Discussion on creating a 501c3 arm & a new scholarship
were tabled for the next meeting.
Meeting was adjourned at 9:34pm.
Next meeting is scheduled for May 15, 7:30pm via Conference Call
Julie Nygaard- MHAO Secretary