In support of our USD 253 District Goals, we want to hear from you. If you have a great quote about why you love working for Emporia Public Schools or a favorite #EmporiaProud moment as part of the Emporia Public Schools family please let us know.
Click here for more information
Human Resource Notice:
Emporia Public Schools Transportation Department is seeking current staff for substitute or activity bus drivers. Available times include before and after school as well as evening and Saturday activities. The district would like to encourage teachers or classified staff who do not work 40 hours a week to contact Amy Larson at
if they are interested.
If you are nearing retirement, remember these extra hours could possibly increase your final average salary which would then increase your total monthly KPERS retirement benefit.
Extended School Year Application:
Extended School Year (ESY) will take place this summer for selected students in the district. You must have a special education endorsement or be working toward one to apply for a teaching position. If you are interested in working this summer, please complete this form, and submit it by March 1. If you have questions please contact Angela Harris
Human Resource Reminders:
- February 15th is the deadline to submit a new national board teaching certificate.
- February 15th is the deadline to submit ESL certification to be included in the March paycheck.
- all employees are encouraged to fill out a new W-4 and a K-4 for 2019.
EHS Theatre & Music Departments presents,
for our winter musical. Come see this crazy adaptation o
f Alice in Wonderland
High School Musical.
Tickets are $6 for adults and $3 for students. Performances are Friday, February 15th at 7 p.m. and Saturday, February, 16th at 2 & 7 p.m.
EMS All School Theater Arts presents
on Friday, March 1st and Saturday, March 2nd at 7:00 p.m. Come see this unforgettable musical as Horton the Elephant, The Cat in the Hat and all of your favorite Dr. Seuss characters spring to life onstage.
Logan Avenue Elementary
will be hosting the annual Pennies For Patients Fundraiser February 25th-March 8th, with the theme "Every Hero Needs A Squad
The money raised will be donated to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society to provide funds for research toward a cure for cancer. Monetary donations will be collected at the school and through the online donation link on the Logan Ave Facebook page. There will be raffle baskets in the office with tickets available for $1 each or $5 for 6 tickets.
paraedcuator, 252-Olpe Elementary
paraeducator/teacher aide, Village Elementary
paraeducator, Logan Avenue
paraeducator, Emporia High School
administrative assistant, Emporia High School
bus aide, Transportation
grade 4, Logan Avenue, August 2019
tbd, Timmerman, August 2019
teacher aide, Logan Avenue
paraeducator, Logan Avenue, May 2019
- minutes from January 23, 2019, and January 31, 2019
- fiscal payments for January 2019
- memorandum of agreement with Greenbush to provide a late spring/summer driver education program for Emporia students
- engagement letter from Mize Houser & Company for the auditing of the district financial records for the fiscal years ending FY19, FY20, and FY21
- solicit bids for two new or used school buses
- donation of a $500 Amazon gift card, won by a student to Timmerman Elementary for classroom supplies from Work Place Pro
- E-Rate bids as outlined and submitted to USAC for a funding commitment
- bids for individual components for proposed safety and security upgrades
- AP EHS Government teacher Jamie Dawson to participate in the We the People National Finals trip to Washington DC and begin fund-raising efforts to reduce the cost of the trip for students
The board recognized those members who have completed the Kansas Association of School Boards Leadership Academy Training.
Honor Roll Level I recipients: Susan Brinkman, Doug Epp, Melissa Ogleby, and Grant Riles
Honor Roll Level II recipients: Art Gutierrez and Kevin Case
Rick Nobles from Patron Insight Inc. presented the Climate Survey highlights. In October of 2018 community members, staff, students, and parents had the opportunity to fill out the survey to help determine what the district is doing well, what areas can be improved, and overall general opinions. The report shows the survey results overall were positive and all stakeholders are happy with the district. For a comprehensive look at the
Climate Survey highlights click here.
The board heard a report on the District Needs Assessment from Zach Snethen, of HTK Architects. The presentation included a detailed overview of the assessment project, a complete review of each building's needs, and options for implementation. During the Feb 27th board meeting, board members will have the opportunity to ask questions and have an open dialogue regarding the report with representatives from HTK. This will provide HTK with direction and clarification on moving forward with the District Needs Assessment. To view the presentation and timeline
Future Board Calendar Dates:
Wednesday, February 27, 2019, 7:00 p.m., Board Meeting, Mary Herbert Education Center
Wednesday, March 13, 2019, 7:00 p.m., Board Meeting, Mary Herbert Education Center
Wednesday, March 27, 2019, 7:00 p.m., Board Meeting, Mary Herbert Education Center
Members of The Emporia Board of Education
Emporia Public Schools
1700 W 7th Ave
Emporia, Kansas 66801