Paraguay Teacher Exchange:
Interested in a teaching exchange to Paraguay? Through a collaborative partnership with ESU, we can offer USD253 teachers an opportunity in the summer to spend four weeks in Paraguay with a host family while visiting the local schools. If you are interested, contact Kelly Bolin in HR for more information.
April 1st is the deadline for employees to notify the Business Office if they want lump-sum payments for summer checks. Forms will be sent to all employees new to the district this year. Other employees who want to change their election must notify Stephanie Morgan or Erica Markley at 341-2228 or 341-2428. Lump-sum payments will be made on June 30.
Pre-registration for kindergarten will be held at each neighborhood elementary school on April 16 at 6:00 p.m. and April 17 at 9:00 a.m. Parents will meet principals and school staff as well as learn about enrollment and admissions requirements. Parents only need to attend one session and your child does not need to be present. For more information contact the elementary school nearest you or call Mary Herbert Education Center at 341-2200 for assistance locating your elementary school.
As we move into the spring and summer months you will see a few things start to update and change with our district's website. If you have requests, changes or concerns email your request to
Tuesday, April 23, 7 a.m. to 5 p.m., Maynard Early Childhood Center staff will be available to enroll 3 and 4-year-olds who meet eligibility requirements. Please bring the students' birth certificate, immunization records and a copy of the child's most recent physical.
Getting Ready to Retire?
Are you within five years of retirement? Not sure when and how to take that first step? You're invited to our spring pre-retirement seminars and quarterly webinars. Register today to secure a spot!
Click here for dates and locations
For questions call 1-888-257-5737 or email
Bovay Foundation Educators's Grant:
The Harry E. Bovay Jr. Foundation is offering a $5,000 grant to be used for professional development of public school educators in Lyon County. Any teacher who is interested in pursuing a Master's degree or higher is eligible to apply.
Click here for more information
Dr. Ken Weaver, Dean of the Emporia State University Teachers College, Friday, April 26, 2019, from 3-5 pm at the Sauder Alumni Center, 1500 Highland Street
school psychologist, FHSEC, August 2019
music, Emporia Middle School, August 2019
elementary teacher, To be determined, August 2019
teacher aide, Logan Avenue,
rule 10 assistant football, Emporia Middle School, August 2019
paraeducator, 251 NLC Elementary/Jr. High
English & theatre, Emporia High School, May 2019
French, Emporia High School, May 2019
paraeducator, USD 417 Council Grove Elementary, May 2019
head Cook, Food Service/William Allen White
school nurse, Village & Timmerman May 2019
roving custodian, District
Students from Logan Avenue had an assembly recently to reveal the total amount collected in their recent Pennies for Patients campaign. Funds raised were donated to benefit the leukemia society for childhood cancer research.
- minutes from February 27, 2019
- treasurer's report for February 2019
- $500 donation to the EHS Cycling Club from the Flint Hills Optimist Club
- insurance roof repairs for multiple district buildings
- purchase of two new buses
- Dustin Avey, Managing Director with Piper Jaffray provided an update on the district's current bonds and a timeline for when those bonds retire. He shared different scenarios outlining what a potential bond might look like for Emporia Public Schools including the impact for taxpayers. Avery also discussed the districts mill levy history and a mill levy analysis based on bond dollar amounts and length. Board members had the opportunity to ask questions and received clarification on details regarding the bond process.
- Zach Snethen of HTK Architects continued conversations with board members regarding the completed facilities needs assessment and a discussion outlining the needs of each building. Architects along with district leadership have completed the first round of elementary building walk-throughs. Snethen provided a review of each building including classroom structure, furnishings, gymnasiums, and options to refresh classrooms and building space. Next steps include walk-throughs of the remaining buildings and a detailed look at recommended improvements. Board members were able to focus in on specific questions they had and provide feedback. At the next meeting, HTK will begin to provide revised building recommendations and potential cost estimates.
Future Board Dates:
- Wednesday, March 27, 2019, 7:00 p.m., Board Meeting, Mary Herbert Education Center
- March 30-April 1, 2019, NSBA Annual Conference, Philadelphia, PA
- Wednesday, April 10, 2019, 7:00 p.m., Board Meeting, Mary Herbert Education Center
- Wednesday, April 24, 2019, 7:00 p.m., Board Meeting, Mary Herbert Education Center
Members of The Emporia Board of Education
Emporia Public Schools
1700 W 7th Ave
Emporia, Kansas 66801