Stanley Freborg moved from Chicago to Provincetown Massachusetts in 1953. He joined the famed members of the New York School of Abstract Expressionism and studied at the Hans Hofmann school for two summers. His style moved in the direction of Figurative Expressionism, as did the paths of other artists like Milton Avery and Jan Muller. He built his own forge and worked with bronze and silver sculpture; other mediums included plaster, copper and wrought iron. The influence of Hofmann is seen in the combination of directional and geometric perspectives.
Freborg studied at the Art Institute of Chicago from 1928 to 1930 and worked as a freelance commercial artist for various Chicago advertising studios. At the outbreak of war, his artistic background landed him in the aerial reconnaissance division of the Army Air Corp., stationed in Southern Italy. His photos assisted the Allied forces in the fight for Northern Italy. After his time in New York, he returned to Chicago where he resumed a career in commercial layout and design.
James Gallery, Provincetown MA, 1957-1959;
Provincetown Artist Association, Provincetown MA, 1957-1961
Cape Cod Artist Association, Cape Cod MA, 1958-60
Martha Jackson Gallery, Provincetown MA, 1958
Munson-Williams-Proctor Arts Institute, Utica NY, 1960
Museum of Modern Art Lending Library, NY, 1960-61
Parke-Bernet Galleries, NY 1961
Grand Central Art Galleries, NY, 1960-61
The Chrysler Museum of Art, Norfolk VA
University of Mississippi Museum, Oxford MS
University of Arizona Museum of Art, Tucson, AZ
Provincetown Art Association and Museum, Provincetown, MA