October 30th, 2020
We have planned to transition prayers inside starting Sunday, November 1st, 2020. We will open for Fajr, Isha, and Jummah prayers ONLY, for this limited re-opening. Check MIC website for prayer times. Please scroll down for guidelines and requirements for the move indoors. All previous requirements still apply with additional requirements implemented that will be strictly enforced.
Please tune in this Saturday October 31st at 7:30PM on the MIC YouTube Channel for a live update on our current status and overview of guidelines.
Disclaimer: The panel of infectious disease experts who have been advising us throughout this process continue to advise caution and recommend that we avoid praying congregational prayers at the masjid. However, they have provided us with guidance and recommendations on how to reduce the risk to our community if we decided to reopen indoors. Our religious leadership has also advised that you are not obligated to attend congregational prayers at the masjid and still highly encourage our community to continue to pray at home. Please take this into account before deciding to attend.
We will continue to closely monitor case numbers from Shelby County and the State of Tennessee and seek advice from our local Infectious Disease experts and COVID Task Force and we may consider delaying each phase or shutting down again. Our priority remains first and foremost the safety of every member in our community. Therefore, we have created guidelines and compliance with the guidelines is a must and will be enforced strictly. Failure to do so will result in removal and potential closing of the masjid.
Please read the guidelines and recommendations below carefully. All community members are expected to abide by the following requirements in order to enter the building:
- Open to Public with Limited Capacity: 72 Max Inside and 45 Max Overflow Outside
- Isha, Fajr, & Jummah Prayers Only. Jummah will be at 1PM and 1:45PM and prayer times for Isha and Fajr can be found on MIC Website.
- All prayers will be held inside going forward. Masjid will open 15 minutes before prayer and close 15 minutes after prayer.
- Wearing masks is required at all times. All attendees must bring their own facemasks and wear them correctly covering nose and mouth.
- Maintain social distancing 6 feet apart during prayers. Prayer spaces will be clearly marked. Each person is required to occupy an available spot and may not switch. Please enter and fill each row completely starting with the first row before sitting anywhere else.
- Attendees must bring their own prayer mats
- Shoes must be placed in plastic bags and placed in front of your prayer spot.
- Entrance will only be through the front main doors. Exit will only be through the side doors closest to your prayer spot.
- Prayers only. No congregation before and/or after each prayer. Everyone must leave as soon as prayer is complete. Avoid handshakes and/or hugs.
- Must check in at screening table before entering to ensure compliance and check body temperature at jummah prayers.
- Bathrooms and water fountains will remain CLOSED. Attendees must come with wudhu and bring their own water bottles.
- Children under the age of 14, adults older than the age of 65, and immune compromised individuals are requested to avoid attending during this phase.
- Jummah prayer will be accessible only to those whom it is obligatory upon
- Any person who has been ill with cold like symptoms (coughing, shortness of breath, or fever) within the last 2 weeks or has been in contact with ill or confirmed COVID-19 positive individuals must refrain from attending.
- Any person who has traveled in the past 14 days must refrain from attending.
- Any person who is a frontline healthcare worker must refrain from attending.
- Any person who attends a prayer and subsequently tests positive for COVID-19 must inform the masjid immediately.
- Please exercise caution in your decision to attend prayers at the Masjid, it is not obligatory upon you to attend.
We are excited to take this step towards reopening the masjid with limited capacity and look forward to seeing the community again. Jazakum Allahu Khairan for your understanding and support. May Allah SWT protect us all.
Acknowledgement of Risk
By attending you acknowledge the following: I acknowledge the contagious nature of COVID-19 and voluntarily assume the risk that I may be exposed to or infected by COVID-19 by attending events at the Memphis Islamic Center and that such exposure or infection may result in personal injury, illness, permanent disability, and death. I understand that the risk of becoming exposed to or infected by COVID-19 at MIC may result from the actions, omissions, or negligence of myself and others, including, but not limited to, MIC employees, volunteers, and program participants and their families. I waive, release, absolve, and agree to hold harmless the Memphis Islamic Center and/or their employees, volunteers, and program participants and their families from any claims that might arise from any risks and exposure of COVID-19.
Please reach out to masjid leadership should you have any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org
Memphis Islamic Center