A Note from the TEKS Resource System Director, Ann Graves
Happy New Year, Friends.
We are entering our second semester of the 2019-2020 school year, and you are making a difference! We appreciate you and your district commitment to the TEKS Resource System! Here are a few facts regarding the TEKS Resource System:
- 928 districts utilize the TEKS Resource System throughout the state
- 4,492 campuses are involved
We will continue to update, respond to feedback, and enhance our system. The Content Development Team attends SBOE meetings and TEA updates to ensure we have the latest information. In turn, we will keep you posted.
Prepare for a great learning opportunity during our summer conference. Mark your calendar for Monday, July 13 -Wednesday, July 15, 2020 for TEKSCon in San Antonio, Texas. Please note this is a change from past conferences because the first day, the 13th, is on a Monday. By visiting our website, you may now submit an application to present or be a vendor. You do not want to miss out! We are adding additional strands after feedback. This conference will benefit teachers and administrators. We will see you there!
Best of luck during this second semester and let us know how we can continue to support you.
Best to you,
Director, TEKS Resource System
TEKSCON SAVE THE DATE and Register to Present!
Save the DATE!!
July 13-15, 2020
Quick Tips for District TEKS Resource System Administrators
The District Assessment Center allows district level leaders to create common assessments or assessment items and push them out to district users. The TEKS Resource System HELP site has numerous help documents under the System Management button to help you get started. Documents include the following:
District Assessment Center
- Accessing the District Assessment Center (Landing Page)
- Create A District Assessment
- Search/Edit District Assessments
- Create A District Assessment Item
- Search/Edit Assessment Items
- Search/Edit Assessment Items: Create District Version
District Assessment Item Review
- District Content Creator: Submitting An Assessment Item for Review
- District Content Admin: Reviewing A Submitted Assessment Item
- District Content Creator: Assessment Item Review Feedback
In addition, district leaders can manage access to assessment items for individual teachers. See the following help documents for how-to steps.
Assessment Access Management Settings
Articles pertaining to managing the Assessment Access settings for basic district users.
- Assessment Access Management Settings: Overview
- TCMPC Bank > Unit Assessment Items > Viewable & Create My Version
- TCMPC Bank > Formative Items > Viewable & Create My Version
- District Bank > Unit Assessment Items > Viewable & Create My Version
- District Bank > Formative Items > Viewable & Create My Version
- Assessment Access > Restricted (by Grade/Subject)
- Managing Campus Assessment Settings
||Upcoming TEKS Implementation -
The TEKS RS has your back!
The SBOE voted for an adjusted implementation schedule for the K-5 Streamlined Social Studies TEKS. See the implementation schedule below for the changes.
Please know, the TEKS Resource System is working to make sure you have the curriculum and assessment documents you need for implementation!
- Implement NEW ELAR TEKS for High School
- Implement Streamlined Social Studies TEKS for Grades K-5
- Implement NEW PreK Systems
- Implement NEW Science TEKS
Implement NEW Tech Apps TEKS
You can use the linked
to self-assess and grow your administrators, leaders, and teachers in the use of the documents in the TEKS Resource System. We are aiming for Level 5 Implementation for each column. Are your administrators, leaders, and teachers at Level 5 Implementation?
- As of the first of January, all of the ELAR 4th six weeks curriculum and assessment components are published to the live portion of our site.
- SLAR will be completed by January 10th. (including Phonics Scope and Sequence for K-2).
Documents for High School
- Our ELAR team has also posted all of the first semester DRAFT curriculum documents for high school.
- To access these documents, you will need to search in the TCMPC Resources section and look for a folder titled "2020-2021 English __ New Curriculum Documents".
- These documents are currently being reviewed by Focus Groups across the state at various Educational Service Centers.
- You can also provide us feedback on these draft documents by clicking on the feedback button at the bottom of the Resources page.
- When submitting feedback, please be very specific in your comments and provide helpful suggestions if you have them.
Wishing everyone a great 2020!
- We will be spending this late winter/early spring finishing up the last two six weeks of K-8 curriculum documents and Grades 2-8 assessment passages and items.
- We will also be publishing the rest of the high school DRAFT curriculum documents.
- Then, we will turn our attention to the development of resources for K-8. Our priorities will be the Backward Design Documents and Convention Alignment Tools as well as Grades 3-5 Phonics Scope and Sequence.
- We also will be developing rubrics for the Elementary Performance Assessments.
- We will be very busy from now until the start of next school year.
- If there is any resource that you would like to see developed for next school year, you can also submit your ideas through the feedback button. We would love to hear from you.
ELAR Content Advisory Group
Welcome back from the holiday season of reflection, family, and relaxation!
Completed Work Published:
- STAAR Analysis
- Grades 3-8 includes STAAR items from 2015-2019
- Algebra I includes STAAR items from 2016-2019
- TEA rationales used in years 2018 and 2019; prior years are TEKS Resource System rationales
- TEKS Resource System and District Word versions of STAAR Analysis documents provided, including individual SE and bundled units
- TxCCRS (Texas College and Career Readiness Standards) updated in TEKS Resource System Standards Tree and aligned to all TEKS Resource System Mathematics documents
- Algebraic Reasoning DRAFT ETCD, TCD, YAGs, TVDs, IFDs (Units 01-03) published
- Geometry Revision: Unit 04 added G.6A to the YAG, TVD, IFD, and PA
- Algebraic Reasoning DRAFT IFDs Units 04-12 (December 2019-February 2020)
- Development of additional HS Unit Assessment Items (December 2019-August 2020)
- Algebra II, Geometry, MMA, and Precal (60 items per course to be developed)
- Algebraic Reasoning (148 items to be developed)
Thank you for the difference you make in the lives of our students in Texas!
- Development of additional K-5 Formative Items (March 2020-August 2020)
- To apply for Formative Item contract writing, visit the Region 13 website.
- Applications accepted from December 20, 2019 through February 05, 2020.
Math Content Advisory Group
- Updating Overview and System Resources
2019 STAAR Analysis
- Middle school formative assessment items - Continuous roll out through spring
- Continuous addition of new assessment items to the TCMPC Assessment Bank 2019-2020
- Grades 5, 8, and Biology EOC - target publication goal is March 2020
Cadre Opportunities for PLC Networking
- Anatomy & Physiology
- NEW Performance Assessment Rubrics - Continuous roll out through spring
- NEW Sample Guiding Questions - Continuous roll out through spring
- Forensic Science
- Published dynamically - Continuous roll out through spring
- NEW Assessment Items added to TCMPC Assessment Bank - Continuous roll out through summer
- Collaborate with the content development team
- Biology Cadre
- Anatomy & Physiology Cadre
- Forensic Science Cadre
- Apply on the ESC 13 website
State Board of Education
Science TEKS Review
- DRAFT YAGs and TCDs are in the Resource section for the following courses:
- Aquatic Science
- Earth Space Science
- These courses will not be fully developed until the new TEKS are adopted in 2020-2021 with a 2023-2024 implementation date
- Science K-12 is part of Proclamation 2023. The new Science TEKS will be implemented in 2023-2024
- The SBOE is on target to start the Science TEKS review in January and finish by November 2020 with the adoption of revised TEKS planned for the 2020-21 school year
- The TEKS Review and Revision will follow a process that will consist of multiple steps and involve a number of stakeholders
- Content Advisors have been appointed by the SBOE
- Texas Higher Education Commissioner Harrison Keller has appointed two science content advisors to help with your update of the science standards - Dr. Janice A. Fischer and Dr. Catherine H. Howard
- The SBOE is now accepting applications for science TEKS review work groups.
- As part of the SBOE's review process, TEA is surveying educators regarding their opinions about the current Science TEKS
- Follow the progress on the Science TEKS Review page at TEA
- Subscribe to updates from TEA
- Follow the Science Teachers Association of Texas STAT Guide to the Science TEKS Review
- Questions regarding the application or TEKS review process may be sent via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- The CTE Health Science Chapter courses eligible for science credit will also undergo review, revision, and adoption on the same schedule as the science TEKS review.
Science Content Advisory Group
- Elementary streamlining has begun. Our typical timeline for posting updated information to the website is mid-June, 2020.
- Our timeline may be altered for Estudios sociales. We have asked TEA for a time they expect TEKS to be translated into Spanish, but have not yet received a date for release. We can begin updating Estudios sociales after the translation of the TEKS by TEA is completed and made public.
- Since secondary curriculum streamlining is complete, the team is auditing the item bank to uncover any assessment gaps that may have emerged. You can apply to be an item writer here. We are in particular need of teachers with expertise grades 2-6 social studies content.
- We have received the released items from STAAR. STAAR Analysis with 2019 items should be available in the system by the end of January.
Social Studies Content Advisory Group