I see it in the start of school, children’s smiles as they sit on the floor next to classmates or chat with friends in the lunchroom. I feel it in the embrace of parent friends; worry is starting to subside, replaced by joy and hope. I hear in the words of our new Guilford County Schools Superintendent, Dr. Whitney Oakley, “The next decade is the most consequential decade for our children and community. It will take all of us working together to succeed.” I am here for all of it.
shift_ed is starting what I believe will be our most impactful year ever.
- Our HELPS tutoring returns in-person and is expanding into 20 GCS Title 1 elementary schools.
Free Virtual Tutoring is back and open to every student K-5th grade.
Every GCS 7th grader and 10th grader will have access to the YouScience Career Tool.
- shift_ed’s Mobile Innovation Lab will hit the streets.
Entrepreneur-I-Am returns to 8 middle schools.
- Career and college workshops are on the calendar, and as always, free to GCS high schoolers.
- shift_ed is facilitating GCS’s First Generation College Student Program again.
- SEO Scholars is coming to Guilford County, an eight-year, free program that gets students to and through college.
- AND our scholarships continue with a renewed commitment to equitably serving GCS graduates.
Friends, there are a lot of good things happening in Guilford County. The sun is out, and it’s time to step into it. Your time, your talent, your treasure – they are the tools that will sustain this momentum.
Join me in the sun; it’s time to shine.