You returned your book to the library but when you check your account it’s still there.
What? It’s accruing fines! How did this happen? Don’t worry! You did everything right. We’ve got this! Your book is being quarantined. Here’s how it goes:
- You return your item to an outside book drop.
- Staff empty the book drops a few times a day. Your item is put in a bin labeled with the date you brought it back.
- It stays in its labeled bin for four days and nobody touches it.
- After four days, staff change the date our computer system to the date on the labeled bin. This magically turns back the clock to the date you actually returned the item. The item is checked in.
- It’s removed from your account. Your estimated fines disappear.
Our goal is to check in everything exactly at four days, but sometimes we get behind if a lot of books have been returned. It’s not unusual for your item to stay on your account for up to a week after you returned it. Don’t worry!
If this persists more than seven days give us a call and we’ll be happy to set things right!