Deferral Confirmations - Now Open!
Dear 2020 Teams,

Ready to Storm the Haliburton Forest this Fall? Registration for Storm 20 - the 20th Anniversary edition, is now finally open!

More accurately, the deferral confirmation form for 2020 teams is now open, available at This is a dedicated page we have created specifically for teams that deferred their entries from the cancelled 2020 event.

This form is being opened 2 weeks prior to the launch of general registration, to allow 2020 teams to confirm their deferrals. This is to say that you have until March 23rd to complete the form, in order to be guaranteed your spot for the September 24-26 event.

Here's how it will work:

  • go to
  • click on the confirmation list, to review your 2020 entry details
  • click on the deferral confirmation form and complete it
  • that's it - you're registered to Storm this Fall!
Important Notes:
  • Deferral confirmation forms received after March 23rd cannot be guaranteed a spot in the 2021 event. We do expect there will be demand for the limited number of entries available, and once general registration opens, they will likely fill quickly.

  • Deferral confirmations will not be accepted after April 30th. Any entries not confirmed by this point will be considered forfeited.

  • The deferral confirmation form does include an option to defer again to 2022, but we will have to set a cap on such requests.

  • Please understand that refunds are not being offered, but we are happy to work with you to transfer fees to other events in the Storm series, or to the 2022 event.
Other Notes:
  • The entirety of our plan for 2021 revolves around a format with 100-person 'cohorts' of racers separated into waves, and that this format will be deemed permissible by local and/or Provincial health authorities by September (based on the Stage 3 restrictions that were in place at the same time last year).

  • If restrictions on gathering capacities are to be less than 100 people, we will not viably be able to run the event, and will be forced to postpone again until 2022. While we're optimistic that this won't be the case, it's important to us that we be fully transparent on this point.

  • In order to realistically host the race under this scenario, we will be breaking the weekend down into a series of waves, as follows:

Trek Elite Course - hosted on Friday September 24 (one wave only)

Trek Course - hosted on both Friday September 24 (one wave) AND Saturday September 25 (two waves)

Hike Course - hosted on Sunday September 26 (three waves)

  • The deferral confirmation form includes an option for your choice of wave. In selecting your wave, PLEASE BE HONEST about your team's pace. We will need slower teams to begin the day earlier and faster teams to start later, and reserve the right to make changes as required.

  • Teams will be further staggered into 10-minute starting time assignments, which will be issued closer to Race Weekend.
How it's All Going to Work:
As the many details are more than we can be realistically summarize here, all of the racer information packages have now been posted. You can access them:

HERE for the Trek Elite Course

HERE for the Trek Course

HERE for the Hike Course

A few noteworthy changes include:

  • Teams will only be permitted a maximum of 1 hour at the race site prior to their assigned start time.

  • To accommodate this, race maps will be posted in advance of race weekend, as will the race briefing video, team start time assignments, and essential race forms.

  • The above will all be made available via a central Race HQ page that will replace the main home page of the Storm website, in the final weeks leading to Race Weekend.

  • A full explanation of all the changes - complete with a 5-step infographic on the pre-race procedures - is provided in Sections 2 and 3 of the race packages linked above.
The Fun Stuff:
Despite all the doom and gloom of the past year and the challenges still to come, we want you to know that we truly do have an amazing weekend for you to look forward to!

We've had A LOT of extra time to put the finishing touches on this series of racecourses; had the opportunity to test various options through a self-guided race format last July; and have had nothing but warm welcomes and tremendous support from the great folks at the Haliburton Forest. The 20th anniversary of Storm will feature:

  • A phenomenally beautiful, rugged and remote racecourse, based just outside the southernmost boundaries of Algonquin Park.

  • Drier conditions, the absence of bugs, the onset of Fall colours, and a little more time to get into a canoe before Race Day!

  • A fantastic host venue, complete with on-site restaurant and accommodations.

  • 20th anniversary souvenir t-shirts (we've never done tees in all our 20 years!)