Although Mother's Day has come and gone, I am still thinking about how amazing my mother is. When I think of my mom, I think of the countless meals she has made for me and my family.
These delicious meals, however, have never put her own health in danger.
During my time with StoveTeam, I have learned a few shocking facts about daily life for the Central American women we serve:
In Central America, open fire cooking...
- Is used by about 55% of families.
- Takes an average of 4 hours of a women's day.
- Is equal to smoking 3 packs of cigarettes a day.
- Causes smoke that is responsible for 37,000 premature deaths annually, majority being women and children.
- Causes lung cancer, pneumonia, and cardiopulmonary disease.
- Demands women and children to spend up to 5 hours a day searching for firewood.
individuals cook over open fires daily, increasing these statistics even further. This information is difficult to digest, but I ask that you take it to heart. Here is the good part,
there is a simple way to honor
mothers everywhere year-round
Make a donation to StoveTeam International in your mother’s name.
A $50 donation will provide an Ecocina cookstove for a mother and her family in Central America, ensuring that she can cook those family favorite meals safely. In addition to your generous gift, a handwritten card will be sent to your mother thanking her for her support of mothers in Central America.
Here at StoveTeam, we aim to ensure that mothers do not have to endanger their own health in order to cook for their family. Help us in our fight today!