Gerre Fiore, MSN, APRN, AGCNS-BC, CCRN
Clinical Nurse Specialist
How long have you been working in this role?
About 5 ½ years.
What does your typical day look like?
Every day is little different, but I generally have to do serious prioritization! My job responsibilities include:
- Monitoring & evaluating renal biopsy complications
- Monitoring & evaluating port infections
- Leading the IVC Filter Retrieval Program
- Clinical Expert for Procedural Sedation (Health System)
- Patient presentation at Thoracic Oncology Conference
- Development and maintenance of Order Sets, Policies, Clinical Practice Guidelines and Procedures for IR and Radiology Nursing. I also report to GI/Endo and Cath/EP and am available to them as needed.
- Mentoring Practice Councils
- Trending Safety Intelligence reports to identify improvement opportunities
- Moderate Performance Improvement and Patient Safety Rounds
- Project Management: some examples include ketamine for procedural sedation, care of ICU patient in IR, management of HHT patients, Alpha Gal Syndrome awareness to name a few
- I’m always available for consultations
- General firefighting!
What is the most rewarding part of your day?
So many things really. I love to round in the units and be able to answer questions or listen to staff concerns. Talking to patients really fills my cup as well. I truly feel valued in this role by nursing, physician staff and ancillary partners. I can also honestly say that I learn something every single day.
Name one thing about your role that may surprise people.
I’ve had to develop some mad Excel skills over the years and they don’t teach that in school!!
What advice would you give to someone interested in doing your role?
Come and shadow! This role is pivotal in improving outcomes for patients and the organization as well as advancing nursing practice in an ever evolving complex healthcare environment. It’s also a lot of fun in a really nerdy way!
What is your favorite streaming show, movie, podcast, or book?
I am a Food Network junkie and watch any cooking related competition programs!
Best vacation you’ve been to?
My mom and I went to Paris and the south of France a few years ago. It was magical and yes I went to cooking school while there!
Anything else you would like to add?
Love to GOLF!