March 2020
Student Nutrition Newsletter
Your SNP Team is hoping everyone is staying healthy and safe during these uncertain times! We will continue to provide communication to you all. Please continue to check out our Facebook and Pinterest pages for activities and healthy food ideas for families to do at home together. We look forward to working with you all again soon!

Please be sure to follow our Facebook page and give us a "like"! Our social media page is used to highlight what our schools are up to, and provide you with any important information. We encourage you to share with us what your school and students are doing to contribute to your Student Nutrition Program. We love hearing all of your wonderful stories, and it's even better when schools share their pictures with us! We have also created a Pinterest page to share recipes and activities to encourage a healthy lifestyle. Please follow the links provided at the bottom of this newsletter.
The Great Big Crunch

Thank you to everyone that participated in this awesome initiative! We loved seeing all of the videos and pictures you shared with us! We know students love participating in this activity and it's an opportunity to discuss proper nutrition and supporting local as much as possible! We hope more and more of our schools will participate next year! Thanks for crunchin', everyone!
Apple Nachos
With all of the snacking that is probably going on these days, give this healthy and easy idea a try!


  • 1-2 Honeycrisp apples (sliced)
  • 1/2 cup vanilla yogurt
  • 4 large strawberries (diced)
  • 15-20 fresh blueberries
  • 1/2 kiwi (diced)
  • 1/4 cup coconut flakes
  • 1 tbsp. cocoa nibs (if desired)

Arrange your apple slices on a plate. Use a spoon to drizzle the yogurt over the apples. Sprinkle remaining ingredients on top of apples. Drizzle with more yogurt dip, if desired. Enjoy!
Nutrient Spotlight: Cherry Tomatoes
The tomato is a fruit from the nightshade family native to South America. Despite botanically being a fruit, it’s generally eaten and prepared like a vegetable. It is made up of about 95% water and the other 5% consists mainly of  carbohydrates  and  fiber . Tomatoes have many health benefits and are a great source of vitamin C, potassium, folate, and vitamin K. They are juicy and sweet and can be added in so many recipes and cherry tomatoes are an especially easy "grab n go" snack!
Nutrition 4 Kids
Thousand Island Elementary

A group of happy participants look like they’re having fun during a smoothie day at Thousand Island Elementary School. Thanks to Principal, Nancy Holman, and Vice Principal, Chris Hannah, for hosting this event. Smoothies are a fun and nutritious way of learning a little about healthy eating. The kids loved it!
Food for Learning
Champlain Discovery

Champlain Discovery shared some amazing testimonials from their students with us! We love hearing how our programs positively impact students! The students were asked "What does having the Breakfast Club mean to you?" and here is how they responded:

Nora Age 5 "I feel good knowing there's food to eat"

Zoey Age 8 "If I don't have any breakfast, I can go and eat fruit or yogurt"

Kyler Age 12 "When breakfast at home doesn't fill me up, I can rely on the breakfast club"

Ethan Age 10 "Having apples to eat are healthy"
Healthy Eating for Better Learning
Growing Wall

Mrs. Bowles and Ms. Mac’s classes at Bridgewood P.S. have been spending some time harvesting lettuce from their growing wall. The lettuce will be cleaned and the students will have the opportunity to try and enjoy what they have helped grow! The SNP played a roll in helping fund this awesome growing wall. We love seeing it being used and appreciated by the students at Bridgewood!
Follow Us