July 23, 2020
Dear students and faculty,
The CIM Concerts and Events team sincerely hopes you are safe, healthy and that your summer has been both productive and restful. We are writing to share updated and new recital scheduling information and procedures for the 2020-21 academic year. Our primary goal is to ensure you can present your recital safely and with the support you need.
We have developed several new strategies so that all scheduling will be completed virtually. This will require you to regularly check your CIM email and reply promptly to messages about scheduling. As with everything affected by COVID-19, recital scheduling processes and performances are subject to change. This email contains the key points, and the details are found in the documents and website linked at the end of the message. Please take time to review these materials and reach out to
with questions and concerns.
- Special scheduling period for spring 2020 recitals impacted by COVID-19. Student degree recitals that were delayed in the spring of 2020 due to the COVID-19 shutdown will be given priority to perform between August 10 – September 20, and you can start reserving recital date/times on July 27. This period is only for rescheduled recitals where all performers can wear masks. Unless there are extenuating circumstances, all rescheduled recitals with masked performers should be complete by September 20. Woodwind, brass and voice rescheduled recitals will be accommodated whenever we can safely restart unmasked activities.
- Degree recitals may be performed virtually. If you are completing your semester virtually, you also have the option of performing your recital virtually.
- All scheduling processes are now virtual. All scheduling and related meetings will be conducted online using Microsoft Teams. This eliminates the need to visit offices for scheduling. Unscheduled in-person visits will not be permitted until further notice.
- Dress rehearsals must be scheduled prior to recital confirmation. During the scheduling process, the scheduler will offer five available dress rehearsal holds. Once you confirm the dress rehearsal time with your major instructor(s), collaborative pianist and any other performers on your recital, you will meet virtually with the scheduler to confirm the details.
- Temporary suspension of non-degree performances. To ensure adequate hall availability for degree recitals and other required academic activities, the concert halls may not be used by students for non-degree recitals or other performances that do not meet a specific degree or curricular requirement.
- No guests will be allowed to attend recitals in-person this fall. Family members and friends should plan to watch your recital on CIM’s Livestream channel. Teachers will be able to attend in person.
In the coming weeks, information about scheduling spaces for practice, rehearsals, virtual lessons and recording sessions will be posted
and will be updated frequently. We look forward to assisting you with your recital and other scheduling needs this year!
All the best,
Maddi Tolliver, Senior Director, Artistic and Facilities Operations
Naomi Columna, Recording & Student Recitals Manager
Allison George, Production & Ensembles Coordinator
Emily Stack, Concerts & Events Assistant and Box Office Manager