Public Hearing on Tax Millage Rate
Chief Financial Officer Greg Denney presented information regarding the setting of the millage rate and the process for school system funding. The first meeting took place on August 17 at 8:00 a.m. The second meeting took place on August 17 at 7:00 p.m. Additional public hearings will be held on August 20 at 5:00 p.m. and August 24 at 8:00 a.m.
Reopening of School
- Eric Collins, director of athletics and discipline, presented information on fall sports, including safety protocols and Georgia High School Association guidance during COVID-19.
- Angela Carter, Kenja Parks, Chelsie Goodman, Dr. Raymond Leonard and Dr. Chris Small presented information on COVID-19 safety procedures that schools will follow when students return to the buildings.
- Dr. Michelle Ruble presented information on the accommodations that are being made for medically fragile employees during the time of COVID-19.
The following items were approved:
- Financial report for May 2020
- Surplus of mobile units from Alexander High School
- 21st Century Community Learning Center Grants for FY21
- Certified and classified personnel
The following item was approved:
- Purchase of Savvas My Perspectives for English Language Arts in high school
Present in the meeting were Board Members Tracy Rookard, District III, Chair; Michelle Simmons, District IV, Vice Chair; Devetrion Caldwell, District I; D.T. Jackson, District II, and Rita Fasina-Thomas, District V. Also present were Superintendent Trent North; Assistant Superintendent of District Operations Kwame Carr; Chief Financial Officer Greg Denney; Assistant Superintendent of Student Achievement Melanie Manley; Assistant Superintendent of Student Services Renee Davis; Assistant Superintendent of General Administration Dr. Michelle Ruble; Executive Director of Communications Nell Boggs; and Secretary to the Superintendent Melanie Nicholson.
Upcoming Meetings of the Douglas County Board of Education
Thursday, August 20, 2020, 5:00 p.m., Third Tax Millage Rate Hearing
Monday, August 24, 2020, 8:00 a.m., Fourth Tax Millage Rate Hearing and Special Called BOE Meeting
Tuesday, September 8, 6:00 p.m., BOE Work Session
Monday, September 21, 7:00 p.m., BOE Meeting