Dear CYT Kansas City Community,
We pray that you all know that you are in God’s care, especially during these days of ever changing regulations and conditions.
We are happy to let you know that, at this point, we plan to hold the three full-show camps for 2020:
- Drama Camp - Much Ado About Nothing by William Shakespeare, July 6-10 at CYT Studios
- High School Musical Theatre Camp - Bye Bye Birdie, July 19-24 with performances July 24, 25, 26 at MNU
- Middle School Musical Theatre Camp - Xanadu, Jr., July 27-31 with performances July 31, August 1 and 2 at MNU
there will be some significant changes
. We have assembled a Covid Summer Camp Task Force (including parents, health professionals, educators and attorneys) that is working to come up with the best possible safety protocols and procedures to maintain the health and safety of campers and staff.
Please understand, this is a fluid situation and as such, is largely influenced by state and local governments, CDC recommended guidelines, as well as our venues. If, at any time, it is deemed unsafe to proceed with any camp, we will not hesitate to cancel.
Our plan is to keep you informed on a weekly basis leading up to camp. To date the following changes have been made:
- Due to health-safety regulations set by the state of Kansas, Johnson County, and MidAmerica Nazarene University, the two musical theatre camps will NOT be overnight. We will have a detailed rehearsal schedule for each day. (coming soon)
- CYT will follow the most current health department and other regulations in order to keep campers, staff members and audience members safe. We will have specific protocols and detailed procedures in the coming weeks.
- Auditions will be video submissions only. These need to be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. (For helpful tips on self-taping auditions, please see the this VIDEO. Please note: We understand that everyone’s access to video technology is different; we will not be judging auditions based on technical quality.) Please be sure to slate your name and what piece(s) you will be performing at the start of your videos.
- For Drama Camp, videos will be accepted from May 9-15. Callbacks will be on May 16 from 10:00 am - 2:30 pm via Zoom. Reminder: Auditions are required in order to participate in Drama Camp. For auditions, campers will need to submit the following:
- A video containing a performance of one of the selected monologues. Audition monologues are available HERE.
- A completed audition form. The Drama Camp audition form is available HERE.
- For High School and Middle School MT Camps, videos will be accepted from May 28th through June 4th at noon. Callbacks for Bye Bye Birdie (HS Camp) will be Saturday, June 6th at CYT Studios (times TBD) and callbacks for Xanadu Jr. (MS Camp) will be Sunday, June 7th at CYT Studios (times TBD). Please note: Callbacks will be limited to groups of 10 or less. There will also be a list of health guidelines to follow during callbacks. Reminder: Auditions are optional for these camps. For auditions, campers will need to provide the following:
- A video containing a performance of a one-minute cut of an audition song of the student’s choice and a performance of one of the selected audition monologues. Audition monologues for Bye Bye Birdie (HS Camp) are available HERE. Monologues for Xanadu Jr. (MS Camp) are available HERE. Please label this video M (for MS Camp) or H (for HS Camp), name (last,first), song/monologue.
- A video containing a performance on the dance audition. The dance auditions will be learned at home via videos released on the HS and MS MT Camp pages on cytkc.org by Monday, May 18. Students will be asked to study the video for their respective camp and then tape themselves doing the routine. Please label this video M (for MS Camps) or H (for HS Camp), name (last, first), dance.
- A completed audition form. The Bye Bye Birdie (HS Camp audition) form is available HERE. The Xanadu Jr. audition form is available HERE.
In order to be able to comply with social distancing and crowd size guidelines, we have lowered the enrollment caps for our HS and MS Musical Theatre Camps.
Limited space remains in these camps and spots are going fast!
More detailed information will be shared with you each week via email updates. Thank you all for joining us in praying for this journey of navigating new adventures and challenges. No matter what happens, we know that God’s love for us never changes.
God’s peace to you all.