File guide (2,3,or 4 degree) depending on your side edge bevel, 2nd cut Chrome File, Diamond Stones(200,400,600 grit), C-clamps, Fine Ceramic Stone, Brushes( Brass, Nylon, Horsehair), 5mm Scrapers, Rubber bands, Waxing Iron, Wax( Base Prep, CH 7, 6, 5), Tuning Glove. Protective eyewear.
- Used to maintain your side bevel that has been set during the initial ski prep. These come in different degrees and are used to maintain the initial bevel or to set a new bevel.
- Use with a File Guide. This is the most aggressive (takes the most edge material off when tuning) tool in your kit. It is used to reset the edge.
- Use with a File Guide. The diamond stone helps maintain a sharp edge without removing as much material as a file. It is used to maintain the edge, for a quick tune-up. Also used for fixing imperfections in a jiffy.
Fine Ceramic Stone
- Used to clean and polish the edge after the use of a file or diamond stone.
- Holds the file or stone tight on the File Guide. These are key in helping maintain the proper position for the file and guide.
- Used to clean and polish the base before and after waxing and scraping. Brushing gives the base some texture.
- Used to scrape wax from the base and edges.
- These are an important part of your tool kit. Rubber bands are used to hold the brakes out of the way while tuning and waxing.
- Used to drip wax on to the base and melt it into the base of the ski.
- Use to condition new skis or clean base after skiing on dirty snow for summer storage.
Wax CH 7, 6, 5
- Good to have on hand for your first fall camp and early season.
- A glove made of cut-proof material to help protect your hand while tuning.
-Always use protective eyewear when working on skis and waxing.
NOTE: Always follow the manufacturer's guidelines for products used.
Tuning Kit Supply List -
It is important to note that you don’t necessarily need the top of the line materials. Link to suggestions for tuning supplies.
August will be the last of the summer email series. Next month’s email will include tips and guidelines on equipment sizing and fitting from some of our ski industry race experts.