1. Wednesday is named after Woden, the most important God in the German pantheon, often identified with the Norse God Odin.
2. Woden and Odin are also associated with the Roman god Mercury, which is why the French call Wednesday Mercredi and the Spanish Miercoles.
3. The Japanese for Wednesday translates as ‘Water day’ as the planet Mercury was known as the ‘water star’ by Japanese sailors.
4. In German, Wednesday (Mittwoch) is the only day of the week not ending in ‘tag’ (day).
5. According to research by a tanning company, women look oldest at 3.30pm on Wednesdays.
6. The Wednesday before Easter is known as ‘Spy Wednesday’ referring to Judas’s betrayal of Jesus.
7. The daughter in the Addams Family is called Wednesday Addams. Charles Addams said he chose the name because “Wednesday’s child is full of woe”.
8. A recent survey in the US reported that bosses are most receptive to requests on a Wednesday.
9. Sky House has five wonderful classes on their Wednesday schedule. One of them features regular chanting.
(Compiled by WILLIAM HARTSTON)with the exception of #9)