The TESL Ontario Board of Directors is a group of committed, enthusiastic members who ensure TESL Ontario meets its Strategic Objectives and who establish policies governing TESL Ontario.
We are looking for TESL Ontario members with a passion for the field and a wealth of experience to serve with us on TESL Ontario's Board of Directors.
We are looking for candidates who:
- are members of TESL Ontario
- have served on a TESL Ontario affiliate board and/or have board experience on a not for profit board
- are visionary thinkers - can see "the big picture"
- are committed to the work of the TESL Ontario association
- can demonstrate leadership qualities
- understand group process, are team players
- are comfortable making decisions and delegating
- are comfortable with electronic communication
- are disciplined and creative
- have a wide range of experiences in the field of English as a Second Language
- have 10 hours per month to commit to the Board-related activities
- are actively involved in the issues regarding English language training in Ontario
About Our Board
The TESL Ontario Board operates with a pure Policy Governance model. All positions are Members-at-Large. Elections are held in the fall and the new slate of directors is presented at the TESL Ontario Annual General Meeting. The offices of Chair, Vice-Chair, Secretary and Treasurer are all elected from within the Board of Directors after the AGM. New board members will be mentored by experienced board members as they transition into the role.
Open Positions for 2017-2018:
- three 3-year term director positions
Benefits of Volunteering as a TESL Ontario Board of Director
Give back to the profession by:
- shaping the future of the profession
- creating a sense of ownership and contributing to the direction of the profession
- advocating for learners through the activities of the association
Build your career by:
- developing skills in the areas of leadership, decision making, problem solving, communication, and advocacy
- increasing your knowledge of professional issues
- adding your volunteer experience to your resume
Expand your network of colleagues by:
- meeting ESL professionals from across the province
- building friendships and networks
Learn more about the activities of an association by:
- participating in orientation to your role on the Board
- working with a supportive group of professionals
- gaining knowledge of Policy Governance and the meeting process
Directors are expected to serve a 3-year term, with the option for election to another consecutive 3-year term. Meetings will occur 5 or 6 times a year in Toronto. Meetings are held on Saturdays in-person and some weeknights via Tutela videoconferencing. TESL Ontario will cover all travel, accommodation and meal expenses as set out in the Expense Policy. Directors may be asked to represent TESL Ontario on other boards and committees. Flexibility of working hours is a definite asset. Competent computer skills are necessary to actively participate on this Board as much communication is conducted electronically.
In keeping with TESL Ontario's By-laws and Procedures:
- The Nominating Committee will review all applicants based on their commitment to TESL Ontario's Strategic Priorities, personal strengths, past experience relevant to the current needs of the board, and their experience and/or commitment to English language training delivery.
- Nominations from the floor at the AGM will not be accepted.
- The Board will present a slate of candidates to all TESL Ontario members to review. The Association's electronic newsletter will detail candidates in the September issue.
- Elections for all Board positions will be voted on in the fall. Procedure details will be included in Contact, on the website and will be communicated to the membership.
- The new Board of Directors will be presented at TESL Ontario's Annual General Meeting on Thursday, November 2, 2017 at the Toronto Marriott Downtown Eaton Centre Hotel, Ontario.
How to apply
- Nominations to be submitted using the Expression of Interest form and must include a current résumé.
- Nominations must be received in writing at the TESL Ontario office by July 9, 2017 by 12:00 noon.
- This form can be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by fax to 416-593-0164