CHAKRAS AND THE TREE OF LIFE
PART 7 - THE SACRAL CHAKRA
SECOND: SACRAL CHAKRA (Sanskrit name - SVADHISTHANA)
- sweetness, sacred home of self
- lower abdomen, genitals, sacrum
- sexual organs, intestines, kidneys, hip
- gonads ( ovaries and testes)
- D, Gemstone - carnelian, Element - water
- taste, Seed Sound - Vam, Verb - I feel, Color - orange
- desire, sexuality and pleasure
The sacral chakra is closely related to the root chakra, with concerns that are still very close to the Earth. It is our center of creativity, including procreation. Consciousness at this level is preoccupied with the need to be held, loved and nurtured, to be in relationships with others. This is our center of sexuality, of desire and physical pleasure. Concerns about money and abundance are also related to this chakra.
- Emotional, Mental and Spiritual Aspects/Issues: An individual who is balanced at this level has learned to interact consciously and form relationships with people who empower and support development, releasing relationships that suppress spirit and handicap growth. In order to be in healthy relationships, one must know, love and honor oneself, operating from a place of harmony in order to share with others. This, in turn, leads to an ability to know, love and honor others, to sexual confidence, positive self-image and creative freedom. Such an individual would feel content and confident that the universe contains great abundance, which is always available. Balance at this chakra involves knowing and being comfortable with one's body, confronting inhibitions and fears and feeling free to explore ways to heighten one's pleasure. This leads to comfort with the bodies of others, with physical functions in general, and to better sexual relationships.
Imbalance at this level could manifest in a variety of disempowering emotions, such as fear of rape, betrayal, abandonment, isolation, sexual impotence, creative impotence, financial loss and poverty. These fears are often accompanied by feelings of resentment, anger, victimization and vengeance. Such an individual is often haunted by guilt and may have a tendency to blame oneself as well as others. Money and the management of money are central issues in this chakra. Money is often equated with power and sexual potency and therefore the lack of it may bring about financial stress and accompanying problems in the sexual organs. In the sacral power center, it is necessary to discover the external forces that control us and to develop a code of ethics whereby we can honor others and ourselves.
- Physical Functions of the Sacral Chakra: This center governs the whole pelvic region and fuels our reproductive organs and our desire to procreate. It also fuels our need for affection and for sexual pleasure. As its dominant element is water, water related body parts are associated with it, including bladder, kidneys, ovaries, and testes.
- Physical Malfunctioning: Energy blockages at the sacral chakra can manifest as sex related problems (infertility, impotence, fibroids, cysts, cancer), pelvic and lower back pain, urinary tract problems, and sciatica.