It might get cold enough in Texas for a fire over the holidays. Be smart and take the right steps when lighting the fire this winter.
Create a perfect fire starts using seasoned firewood cut to the correct length. To start a safe fire, crumple paper on the grate within the fireplace and cover it with kindling or a manufactured firestarter.
Open the fireplace damper fully
and light the paper. Once the kindling or the firestarter is burning brightly, add dry seasoned wood to the fire and shut the firescreen. It's important to
avoid overloading the fireplace
so the firewood doesn't tumble out. A couple of logs will suffice. Burning a manufactured firelog purchased from the grocery or hardware store is a good alternative to firewood, and does not require paper to get the fire started.
• Clean out ashes from previous fires.
• Open the damper.
• Use a fireplace grate.
• Keep glass doors open during the fire.
• Use fireplace tools to tend the fire.
• Always close the firescreen when in use.
• Never burn garbage, rolled newspapers, charcoal or plastic in the fireplace.
• Never use gasoline or any liquid accelerant to help start a fire.
• Never leave a fire unattended.
• Make sure the fire is completely out before going to bed or leaving the house.