Addressing the Needs of Older Patients in HIV Care
Because published evidence to support clinical recommendations is not currently available, the New York State Department of Health AIDS Institute (NYSDOH AI) developed this guidance, which includes good practices, to help clinicians recognize and address the needs of older patients with HIV.
The goals of this guidance are to:
- Raise clinicians’ awareness of the needs and concerns of patients with HIV who are ≥50 years old.
- Inform clinicians about an aging-related approach to older patients with HIV.
- Highlight good practices to help clinicians provide optimal care for this population.
- Provide resources about aging with HIV for healthcare providers and their patients.
- Suggest steps to guide medical settings in implementing geriatric care into HIV clinical practice.