This past Friday was the deadline for state legislators to file "timely filed" bills for the 2019-2020 legislative session. We have been working with numerous key legislators to file and refile critical legislation related to homelessness, housing, and benefits. (
See the list at this link
and a partial list below).
From now until 4:59 p.m. next Friday, February 1st, both Representatives and Senators can sign on as cosponsors to bills filed in either chamber. (After that date, only Senators will be able to sign on to Senate filed bills; Representatives will not be able to newly cosponsor bills from either the House or Senate.)
Please reach out to your State Representative and Senator's offices as soon as possible to ask them to cosponsor the bills listed below and
. You can find their contact information by going to
. You also can call the State House switchboard and ask to be connected with their offices: 617-722-2000.
Top Bill Priority Campaigns
- Re-establish a statewide rental arrearage program to help households (families, youth, elders, people with disabilities, et al.) avoid homelessness by providing back rent assistance
- Ensure that families experiencing homelessness do not have to stay in a place not meant for human habitation before being eligible for Emergency Assistance (EA) family shelter and services
- Ease access to standard Massachusetts ID cards for people experiencing homelessness by eliminating the $25 fee and allowing alternative ways to verify Massachusetts residency without requiring a permanent address
- Improve the Emergency Aid to the Elderly, Disabled, and Children program (EAEDC)
- Establish a bill of rights for people experiencing homelessness
- Promote the safety, dignity, and civil rights of people experiencing homelessness