|Love God |
- Tell the story of Mary's visit to see her cousin Elizabeth in Luke 1:39-56. Share Mary's song of joy.
- Why do you think Mary traveled to visit Elizabeth?
- How do you think Elizabeth knew something special was happening to Mary?
- Verse of the week: "My soul magnifies the Lord, and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior." Luke 1:46-47
- Pray: Thank you God for good news. Thank for you relatives and friends that we can share the good news with. Thank for the gift of Jesus. Amen.
|TABLE TALK, CAR CONVERSATIONS, BEDTIME BANTER
- Who is the first person you want to tell when you have good news to share?
- What part of the Christmas story is your favorite? Why?
- If you had to tell someone what Christmas is about, what would you say?
Links to books that share the Christmas story in different ways. Click on the book title for the link.
Angels & All Children: A Nativity Story in Words, Music and Art by Walt Wangerin. The world is stuck in darkness, but God sends a baby who will be our light. Includes ideas for families to create lasting traditions and a cd.
Joy to the World: Tomie's Christmas Stories by Tomie dePaola This book includes 3 favorite Christmas stories: The Night of Las Posadas, The Story of the Three Wise Kings, and The Legend of the Poinsettia as well as several illustrated carols.
Santa's Favorite Story: Santa Tells the Story of the First Christmas by Hisako Aoki Santa is tired and the animals in the forest are worried, but Santa explains that Christmas is about much more than presents.
|Serve the World |
- We say we trust God when we join God in blessing the world and when we realize that we have enough. The "For the Love of Christmas" Christmas giving ministry is an opportunity to give a "gift" that gives in multiple ways: you can give a gift to support a GGCC partner in lieu of a material gift for someone on your list. Check it out by clicking here.
|Devotional Note for Parents |
Learning to trust God and rely on God when times are good and when times are confusing, and when times are not so good is a life-long journey. Doubt creeps in and we wonder where God is. It's a lot easier to hold doubt at bay when we have mentors and trusted relationships to remind us of God's love and grace.
Who mentors you in the faith? Who can you turn to when doubts creep in? Who sees the blessings in your life, much like Elizabeth did for Mary? Elizabeth and Mary, two pregnant women spent three months together sharing their joys and their doubts. But, always reminding one another of God's presence in their lives.
Who are you a mentor/faith friend to? Who needs to hear your words of praise and thanksgiving to God?
| Sunday to Home|
Connecting Worship, Children's Church and Home
The Journey to Christmas:
Mary visits Elizabeth
Faith @ Home
Mary Sang for Joy
Elizabeth was an older relative of Mary. She was married to Zechariah, a priest serving at the Temple in Jerusalem. Elizabeth & Zechariah were older and had no children, a tragedy in Bible times. But God intervened. One day during Zechariah's priestly duties, the angel Gabriel appeared to him wtih the news that Elizabeth would have a child who would be great in the sight of the Lord. Zechariah expressed doubt and thus was struck mute until the day his son was born. This son grew up to be John the Baptist.
After Gabriel's visit to Mary, she traveled nine days on foot to be with Elizabeth. When Mary arrived at Elizabeth's home, the child in Elizabeth's womb leapt with joy. Elizabeth accepts and encourages Mary, reminding Mary that she is blessed.
Mary's response was to sing the "Magnificat" a song of praise and revolution - the revolution of God, where the lowly are lifted up and the hungry are filled with good things. Mary's words tell of God's redeeming work through God's Son, Jesus.
Did you receive this email from a friend?
to learn more about how you & your family can join us to Love God, Love People & Serve the World.