Delta Rocks! Family Festival
is Just Around the Corner
Delta Rocks! Family Festival
June 25, 12:00 p.m. (noon) - 6:00 p.m.
Sharp Park, Delta Township
Come join us for a fun-filled day of family friendly activities during the 2016 Delta Rocks! Family Festival.
We Need Volunteers!
Delta Rocks! is wonderful event that wouldn't be possible without the help of the many volunteers that assist with the event. We are looking for volunteers 16 years-of-age or older willing to work at one of our many activities including:
children's make-it-take-it craft booths, super sling shot, sports challenge, cotton candy making and sales, ticket sales, taking payments at the photo booth or rock wall, supervising games, as well as many other areas. Volunteer shifts are 11:30 a.m. to 2 p.m.; 1:45 p.m. to 4:15 p.m.; and 4:00 p.m. to 6:15 p.m. You may opt to work one, two, or all three shifts. All workers will receive their assignments prior to the festival and will be given written instructions for their assigned area, general festival information including parking and check-in, and a festival t-shirt.
If you are interested in working, please email Barbara Kellogg at firstname.lastname@example.org or contact her via phone at 517-323-8216.
Recognizing Delta Patrol During 2016 National Police Week
Delta Township wishes to thank the men and women of the Delta Patrol for their dedication in keeping the public safe.
Check out Delta Township in this Month's Issue of the Greater Lansing Business Monthly
Click the image to read the full article.
Food Truck Ordinance Up for Final Approval on June 6
On May 16 the Delta Township Board introduced a new ordinance which would permit the operation of food trucks in the Township. The ordinance would permit motorized and non-motorized vehicles, as well as trailers and carts to offer food for sale. The food trucks would be required to obtain a permit from the Eaton County Health Department, as well as obtain a 30 or 120 day license from the Township's zoning administrator. Food trucks could operate for two days in Township parks or in conjunction with a special event on church and school properties without a Township license. The proposed ordinance contains regulations pertaining to waste disposal, hours of operation, daily removal from the premises, as well as fire and electrical inspections. The Township Board is scheduled to consider final adoption of the proposed ordinance at their June 6 meeting.
Delta Township Accepting Applications for Community Awards Nominations
The Delta Township Board is pleased to announce the 11th Annual Delta Township Community Awards Program to celebrate the accomplishments of Delta Township businesses and citizens. This year's event will be held on Thursday, October 27 at 5:30 p.m. at the Crowne Plaza Lansing West Hotel.
(pictured above are the 2015 Delta Township Community Award honorees.)
Nominations are being sought in each of the following four categories:
- The Citizen of the Year Award was established to honor selected individual citizens whose extraordinary contributions go "above and beyond" to enhance the quality of life and general reputation of the township.
- The Young Person of the Year Award was established to honor a selected high school senior who has made a positive contribution to the community, is an example to their peers, may have excelled in academics, music, arts, athletics, etc., or has successfully faced personal challenges. A $2,000 academic scholarship will be awarded to the selected individual.
- The Community Organization of the Year Award was established to honor selected groups or organizations for their dedication in serving and promoting Delta Township through volunteer contributions to a project, program or ongoing activity that has impacted the quality of life in Delta Township, provided leadership over a period of years, thereby contributing to the township's character, and/or made a valuable contribution that has enhanced the quality of life for residents of Delta Township.
- The Business of the Year Award was established to honor selected Delta Township businesses or business persons who have been responsible for exceptional outcomes between and among businesses, governments, and nonprofit organizations; OR, have served as a role model for other business; OR, have gone above and beyond the scope of business to support and promote Delta Township.
All nominations must be submitted no later than Monday, October 3, at 5:00 p.m. Nominations may be submitted online
Delta Fire Says Goodbye to Former Firefighter
Members of the Delta Township Fire Department pay their last respects to former fire captain Michael L. Mather, as the funeral procession passes Station 1.
On Wednesday, May 18, retired Delta Township Fire Captain Michael L. Mather, was laid to rest surrounded by family and friends. Mather who was born on September 4, 1954 in Lansing, MI, passed away at home on May 15, 2016. He was a member of Chief Okemos Sportsman's Club; founding member of Operation BBQ Relief, member of BBQ Brethren Forum; enjoyed his volunteer work at Eagle Park Fairgrounds, and was an avid outdoorsman.
Mike is survived by his wife of 12 years, Dorothy, son Alan (Brandy) Mather, daughter Staci (Mike) Quann, adopted son Aaron Ritter, stepson Justin Brown, and stepdaughter Amy McMullen; five grandsons: Justin 'Tyler', Landon, Brennan, Hunter and Austin. He was predeceased by his parents Duane and Donna Jean (Rueckert) Mather.
What's New in Delta
With many curious as to why there is still a portion of the Old Days Inn Building standing on the corner of West Saginaw Hwy and Canal Road, the asbestos abatement for the remaining portion of the building is underway. Once the abatement has been completed demolition of the remaining section will resume.
Site plans have been submitted for the addition of a second drive-thru lane at the McDonald's Restaurant at 4015 W. Saginaw.
Building plans have been filed for a Mancino's Restaurant in the retail center at 603 N. Waverly, immediately south of the Walgreen's Store.
The site plans for a 12,000 sq. ft. addition to the office building at 5801 W. Michigan Avenue have been approved. This site was the former Hubbard/Fox law offices and it will now be the Michigan headquarters of the Seventh Day Adventist Church.
Phantom Fireworks has temporarily reopened in their former location at 6141 W. Saginaw.
A special land use permit application has been filed by Handz-On, auto-related services, at the former Discount Tire location at 4830 W. Saginaw Highway.
A final plat application has been submitted for Shadow Glen Subdivision #5 consisting of 26 lots.
The U.S. Census Bureau has released population estimates as per July 1, 2015. The Delta Township population increased from 32,960 in 2014 to 33,035 in 2015.
The former Manitou Boats site at 7800 Northport Drive has been sold to ProVisions, who will lease to Corix, a provider of services to the utility industry.
Delta Township Upcoming Events
Delta Township Online Surplus Auction
Thursday, May 26 beginning at 8:00 a.m.
to review the items in the auction.
Music/Entertainment in the Park
Come out for the 17th season of free live concerts and family oriented shows. We have a great season lined up for you so pack a picnic, bring a blanket or lawn chair if you would like, and join in for a great time. All shows will be held at the Sharp Park Amphitheater.
- The Lost Hitchhikers Folk: Country, Bluegrass - Sunday, June 12, 4:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- The Joel Tacey Family Show: Juggling, Magic, Goofy Stunts -
Friday, June 24, 6:00 p.m. to 6:45 p.m.
- Ray Kamalay's Musical Flea Market: Wide Variety of Styles -
Sunday, July 17, 4:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m..
- Rosco the Clown: Family Friendly Jokes, Balloon Animals, and More - Sunday, August 14, 3:00 p.m. to 3:45 p.m.
- Party of 7: Classic Rock and More - Tuesday. August 23
6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
Show & Tell Nature Walks
Join us for a series of participatory nature walks as we explore the plants and wildlife in Delta Township Parks. The walks will have a leader but we invite all walkers to be active participants and share their knowledge. Please wear good walking shoes and bring water. Walks will start promptly at the scheduled time and will last approximately an hour. Walks are suitable for the entire family and children will be given a nature log to record their findings.
- Sunday, June 5, 11:00 a.m. - Hawk Meadow Park
- Wednesday, September 21, 6:00 p.m. - Delta Center Cemetery Walk in cooperation with the Delta Township Historical Society.
- Sunday, October 9, 11:00 a.m. - Grand Woods Park, meet by the open air shelter.
Delta Township Senior Council Meeting and Special Event
Monday, June 13, 6:30 p.m. at LCC West - Rm W157
Featured Presentations include information about the New Healthy Eating Workshops available this summer at the Delta Township District Library and educational opportunities available at LCC West.
Delta Township District Library
2016 Summer Reading Program
- Kids Summer Program Kick-Off - June 13, 10 a.m.- 2 p.m.
- Teen Summer Kick-Off - June 13, 6 p.m. - 7:45 p.m.
- Adult Summer Reading Kick-Off - June 14, 6 p.m. - 7:30 p.m.
Join us on May 25 from 12:15 p.m. to 12:45 p.m. to learn about Smart 911, a free service available to residents in Eaton and Ingham County which provides crucial information to first responders during an emergency. Lt. Mark Wrigglesworth will talk about the service, answer questions, and explain how Smart 911 can help you in an emergency. Then, on June 1 from 11 a.m. to 12 p.m. the Senior Council and Delta 39'ers staff will help you create a Smart 911 account. Both events take place at the Delta Township Enrichment Center, 4538 Elizabeth Road in Lansing. Call 517-484-5600 for more information.
Delta Dental Lunch & Presentation
This free presentation and lunch takes place on Tuesday, June 7 from 12 p.m. to 2 p.m. and presenters will discuss how to improve the oral and overall health of Senior Citizens. Advance registration is required by calling 517-484-5600. The presentation and lunch takes place at the Delta Township Enrichment Center, 4538 Elizabeth Road in Lansing.