Claiming Alternative Fuel Credits

The tax extenders bill that was passed in December 2019 retroactively reinstated the Alternative Fuel Credit for 2018 and 2019. The IRS has released guidance in Notice 2020-8 on how to claim the credits earned in 2018 and 2019.

Although there are several types of alternative fuels eligible for the credit, the most common type that we see in our area is propane/liquefied petroleum gas. 

In order to claim this credit, you must be registered as an Alternative Fueler. For alternative fuel used in 2018 and 2019, Form 8849 and Form 8849 Schedule 3 must be filed to claim the credits.These forms must be filed by August 11, 2020.

You may register for the credit by filing Form 637 with the IRS. Once registration has been approved, the taxpayer will receive a registration number to be used when filing refund claims.

Additional information regarding the Alternative Fuel Credit can be found here.

If you have any questions or need additional information, please contact John Rittichier, CPA at 502-882-8484 or

Disclaimer: The information contained in this email is for general guidance on matters of interest only. The publication does not, and is not, intended to provide legal, tax or accounting advice.  
Internal Revenue Service rules require us to inform you that this communication may be deemed a solicitation to provide tax services. This communication is being sent to individuals who have subscribed to receive it or who we believe would have an interest in the topics discussed.  

Harding, Shymanski & Company, P.S.C.
800.880.7800 |  |