August 13, 2020
Dear Friends,

Are you a renter or homeowner?

Please review the information about tax credits below to check for your eligibility. Note: Some credits require an application every year. Additional information on these ta
x credits is also summarized here from the resource workshop I hosted last July at the New Carrollton Library. 
All Maryland Homeowners are eligible for the Homestead Tax Credit on their primary residence. You only need to apply for the Homestead Tax Credit one time. If you are not sure if you are receiving the Homestead Tax Credit, be sure to check by looking up your property on the Real Property Database online.

This year, the Maryland General Assembly approved legislation to extend the submission deadline for the Homeowners Property Tax Credit and Renter's Tax Credit to October 1, 2020. 

The Homeowner's Property Tax Credit Program provides relief for eligible homeowners by setting a limit on the amount of property taxes owed based on their income. If a resident has already paid their property taxes and applies before October 1, any tax credit that the homeowner may be eligible for will be refunded by their county finance office. Apply here by October 1.

click flyer to enlarge
provides tax relief for eligible renters who pay high monthly rent relative to their total income and do not receive federal or state housing subsidies or reside in public housing. The credit is issued in the form of a direct check payment of up to $1,000 per year.

In 2015, I was proud to propose legislation which the Council passed to provide a Prince George's County Renters' Tax Credit to anyone eligible for the State Renters' Tax Credit. If the renter receives the State credit, the County sends a supplemental credit equal to half of the amount paid by the State. No additional application is required to receive the Prince George's County Renters' Tax Credit. Apply here by October 1.

Reminder: Rental/Eviction Resources:

click flyer to enlarge
The Governor's eviction moratorium states that even after failure to pay rent (FTPR) cases are allowed to proceed, substantial loss of income due to COVID-19 is an affirmative defense in court. 

Tenants who have received an eviction filing due to delinquent rent during the pandemic should go to court and bring evidence that their non-payment is due to loss of income due to the pandemic. By doing this they will not face a physical eviction. 

Community Legal Services of Prince George's County offers free legal representation if you are facing eviction or foreclosure.

Guidance from the Prince George's County Office of Law regarding eviction protection and rent increase prohibitions through CB-16-2020 can be found here.

Housing Initiative Partnership (HIP) - rental assistance, eviction and foreclosure assistance, household finances assistance:
CASA - rental/landlord issues and legal services:

United Communities Against Poverty

As always, feel free to reach out to a member of my District 3 team or me if we can help you in any way. I am sharing updates regularly on social media, especially my Facebook page.  #onlytogether

Together Strengthening Our Community,

P.S. The Census directly impacts funding for our community. Complete the 2020 Census TODAY! Call 844-330-2020, no code needed. Your community is counting on you to complete the Census 2020! #pgcensus #proudtobecounted #onlytogether

Like me on Facebook
 Follow me on Twitter

Join me on Monday, August 24 at 7:00 pm for a virtual forum Thought Series: Affordable Housing

click flyer to enlarge

Register in advance here.

FREE Senior Meals - August 26 - Registration Required
click flyer to enlarge


Prince George's County Police Chief

Please share your thoughts on what the County should look for as we hire a new Police Chief:

SNAP Espanol
 Contact Your 
D3 Team

Wanda Brooks 
Citizen Services Specialist
geneather Lloyd
Office Manager & Scheduler 
Aimee Olivo 
Chief of Staff
Alina Smith
Latino Liaison
Alesha Wilson
Community Outreach & Special Projects Coordinator

If you have received this e-news from someone other than my office, and are interested in receiving this update directly, please email or call (301) 952-3060.