Building Community Unity  News Flash
    September 29, 2018
     This message sent to all Presidents and Finance Officers.
TAX HELP DAY - October 16
Want or need help in filling out and filing your unit's required tax forms, or finishing the Annual Financial Report or Audit, then come to Tax Help Day.

Tuesday, Oct 16
10:00 am - 8:00 pm (Last appt. at 7:30 pm)
Santa Clara County of Education (SCCOE)
Gilroy Room
1290 Ridder Park Drive [map]
San Jose, 95131
Last appointment at 7:30 pm
RSVP by Sat, Oct 13

Forms we can help you with:

  1. IRS Form 990N ("e-postcard short-form")
  2. IRS Form 990EZ (limited help available - we cannot help you with the form but can answer questions - please contact us before attending, so we understand what your situation is).
  3. IRS Form 990 (full version) takes hours to fill out, so we will only be able to answer very general questions.
  4. CA FTB Form 199N (electronic short form) or 199 (full form)
  5. CA Attorney General Form RRF-1

We will have your EIN, FTB, and CT Number.

Please bring with you the following items :                                  
  • Annual Financial Report (July 1, 2017 - June 30, 2018)
  • Audit (July 1, 2017 - June 30, 2018)

If you do not have a copy of the Annual Financial Report, then please bring:
  • Twelve (12) bank statements - statement date(s) must include July 1, 2017 through June 30 2018
  • Checkbook Register for July 1, 2017 - June 30, 2018
  • Any ledger, excel spreadsheet, treasurers reports, audits, etc 
Note for PTAs with Income $50,000 or Less
  • If your unit raises less than $50,000, you do not need to use a tax professional. Please contact Sixth District before hiring one. But if you do use one, please know that not all tax professionals understand non-profit filing. Make sure they address their questions to California State PTA and not the government agency.
  • Information for filing (under 50K) your 990n, 199n, and RRF-1 for 2017-2018

Note for PTAs with Income Above $50,000
  • At Sixth District, we can answer a question about the 990EZ or 990, but we cannot help you do the forms. Your PTA unit can hire a tax professional; it is an expense that can be approved by the association. From the Toolkit, "Consider hiring an outside professional well-versed in nonprofit tax requirements to complete the PTA tax forms. Tax filings are complex even for many professionals. No volunteer should feel stressed doing them or embarrassed not to do them." But if you do hire a tax consultant, know that not all tax professionals understand non-profit filing. Make sure they address their questions to California State PTA via the Tax Filing Support Center, not the government agency.
  • Tax Tips Checklist for 2017-2018
  • Information for filing (over 50K) your 990EZ/990, 199, and RRF-1 for 2017-2018

Questions?  Comments?  Contact
Wendy Akers-Ghose, eNews Editor, Sixth District PTA 
News You Can Use and News Flash e-newsletters