We all like to slip a little something under the table for our furry friends, but you might want to think twice before doing it this year!
According to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (
), here are some foods you want to make sure your dog doesn't get his or her paws on this holiday season...
You may have spent hours carefully basting your bird in the oven so the skin is cooked to crunchy perfection. But the fatty skin is difficult for your dog to digest a
nd too many high-fat foods can lead to pancreatitis. Watch for symptoms like lethargy and vomiting.
Dogs love to chew bones, right? Turns out, it's not so safe for them because the bones can splinter and cause punctures in the intestinal tract.
Onions and garlic
The sulfides that give that wonderful aroma when you cook these root plants can lead to anemia in dogs. Onions are generally thought to be more harmful to dogs than garlic, but play it safe and k
eep both away from your dog-whether they're raw or cooked.
The hops in beer in particular can be toxic for your pooch. Don't do something you'll regret by letting your dog pound a brew this
Walnuts and macadamia nuts are the worst offenders here. The ASPCA reports dogs can have tremors, vomiting, weakness and more for up to 12 hours after eating them.
This beloved spice is not technically a nut, but the warning still applies. This seed of the nutmeg tree can cause seizures and central nervous system problems in your dog.
Another favorite seasonal herb, sage can cause stomach upset in dogs.
Chocolate, dough and batter
This one is a triple threat. You probably already know chocolate and dogs don't mix. But if the chocolate is mixed into a dough or a batter,
your dog can experience bloating, flatulence and possibly contract salmonella from raw egg contained therein.
e a few other holiday foods to kee
p your dog away from:
- Coconut/Coconut oil
- Grapes and raisins
- Milk and dairy
- Xylitol (used as a sweetener in many products, including some peanut butters)
- Yeast dough
A note from the ASPCA:
If you suspect your pet has eaten any of these foods, please note the amount ingested and contact your veterinarian or the
ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center
at (888) 426-4435.