St. John's 2018 Facility Campaign
Address Today's Needs...
Assure Tomorrow's Dreams
Those of us on the Vestry know you already care about St. John's. You need no convincing to do what is right for the future of our church.
So why do we ask for donations above and beyond what you already give? The Church has needs that cannot be met with the established budget but which are necessary if we are to continue to make this a vibrant place for the worship of God.
Questions & Answers about St. John's 2018 Facility Campaign
Q: Why does St. John's need your donations?
A: To provide much needed repairs, maintenance, and preservation of our beautiful historic facility and grounds.
Q: Why are these things not already addressed in the current budget?
A: St John's current budget is based upon anticipated revenue and expenses.
The Vestry is very careful not to live beyond our means and tries to maintain a budget that carefully balances income and expenditures. As a result, much needed facility repairs could not be funded.
Q: Were outside sources sought to provide funding?
A: Yes, the Vestry applied for a challenge grant from The Bishop Peter J. Lee Endowment for Small Church Revitalization and was approved for a challenge grant of $5,000. This was the largest the diocese could approve as it balances the needs of many churches in the diocese.
Q: How much will all of these projects cost?
A: About $47,000 for everything. The Vestry has already identified special contributions that can match the challenge grant so about $10,000 has already been raised. This leaves $37,000 needed to complete these priority projects.
Q: Will the projects be done in a particular order?
A: The Vestry decides a project schedule based upon several factors such as Diocese Grant guidelines, mandated government changes, and sufficiency of funds for a particular project.
Q: What projects are included in this Facility Campaign?
A: The Vestry has prioritized the most urgent projects. They are:
- Replace a 10 Ton HVAC unit used for cooling/heating the nursery, breeze way and rooms 206, 207, and 208. It is 25 years old and repair parts and Freon are becoming increasing difficult to find. This is the first of four HVAC systems that will need replacing in the next 2-5 years.
- Replace the Roof on the Historic Church. All of the shingles need replacing and there may be damage to the wooden underlayment. This would be Phase 1 of a three phased effort to replace both the peak and flat roofs areas of the church. See the diagram on our web site and in the church breeze way.
- Replace the church's 92-gallon commercial water heater. This unit is over 25 years old and has exceeded its projected life span. A new one is needed to supply hot water to the 17 water faucets, commercial dishwasher, and shower unit that are located throughout our 16,000+ square foot facility.
Other miscellaneous repairs and fixes.
Q: Can I contribute to just one of the projects?
A: For maximum flexibility in meeting urgent needs, it is preferred that your Facility Campaign donations be unrestricted.
Q: Can I contribute in any other way besides money?
A: Yes, if you know of sources that could help with either funding, materials, or labor for a project or if you wish to be a leader to manage and implement one of the listed projects just let a Vestry member know. Also, do remember this campaign in your prayers.
Q: What are the different options to make donations for this campaign?
Included here are some new ways to give:
- You can contribute online by clicking on the "Give" button below.
- You can use the Tithe.ly Finance (Green) mobile app on your Apple or Android Smart Phone
- You can indicate on your paper check or credit card authorization the amount is for the 2018 Facility Campaign. This can be contributed during the offertory on Sunday or mailed to: St. John's 5649 Mount Gilead Road Centreville Virginia 20120
Q: What amount should I give?
A: This is a question best answered after thoughtful, prayerful consideration. Any amount received will be gratefully accepted.
Q: Can I contribute more than once?
A: Yes, your multiple donations will be accepted anytime during the campaign.
Q: How long will the campaign last?
A: The campaign will run through Labor Day.
Q: Will I be informed of the progress?
A: Yes, periodic progress reports will be provided in E-Notes, on poster boards, and following Sunday services.
When you contribute to this campaign you are making a statement:
It is substance of caring for St John's facility needs today.
It is the evidence of dreams for tomorrow's Kingdom of God.
David Weir, Senior Warden