COVID-19 Recovery Fees and Other Surcharges:
A Consumer Protection Discussion
Moderated By Attorney General William Tong (CT)
Thursday, September 24th
1 - 1:30pm ET
- Ted Rossman, Industry Analyst, Creditcards.com
- Chief Deputy or Consumer Protection Division staffer, AGO pending
A surcharge is any fee imposed on top of the advertised price of goods or services. Recently, there has been focus in the press and social media on surcharges associated with COVID-19 recovery, but surcharges take many forms in the economy.
This session will help Attorneys General and attendees understand and structure the appropriate consumer protection framework through which to view surcharging, and will address:
- When is surcharging appropriate? Should surcharges be capped? How to define reasonable limits?
- How and when should a surcharge be disclosed to consumers? Should the full price inclusive of surcharges always be displayed? When is it reasonable to expect consumers to “do the math”?
- What legal obligations or “best practices” should businesses follow before assessing a surcharge on consumers?