Zoning Ordinance Amendments
At their October 16, 2023 meeting, the City Commission adopted amendments to the Traverse City Code of Ordinances to allow additional dwelling types and to modify dimensional standards in the R-1a, R-1b and R-2 residential zoning districts.
Special Land Use Regulations
- Reduce minimum lot size from five acres to one acre
- Switch from a City Commission SLUP to an Administrative SLUP
R-1a and R-1b Single-Family Dwelling District Modifications
- Reduce minimum lot width in the R-1a from 90 ft to 70 ft
- Reduce minimum lot width in the R-1b from 45 ft to 35 ft
- Reduce minimum lot area in the R-1a from 9,000 sf to 7,000 sf
- Reduce minimum lot area in the R-1b from 5,000 sf to 4,000 sf
- Increase maximum impervious area in the R-1a from 30% to 35%
- Option to increase maximum impervious area in the R-1b from 45% to 50% subject to complying with standards
- Increase maximum impervious area in the R-1a from 40% to 50%
Two Principle Dwellings in R-1a/b
- Allow two single family dwellings on lots that are twice the minimum area without a lot split
Increase Density in the R-1a/b District
Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU) Modifications
- Remove the annual cap of 15 permitted ADUs
- The requirement that the property owner live in either the principal residence or the accessory dwelling unit remains
PILOT Arrangements for Workforce Housing
At their October 16, 2023 meeting, the City Commission adopted resolutions approving payment in lieu of taxes (PILOT) arrangements for workforce housing at 125 Hall Street, 145 Hall Street, and 155 Garland Street.
125/145 Hall Street
A 10% PILOT arrangement was approved with Innovo TC Hall, LLC for 15 Years to support workforce housing throughout 100% of the residential units of the development. 125/145 Hall Street will be a mixed use building with first floor commercial/retail and 127 apartment units on the upper floors with household earning incomes between 80% to 120% AMI. Leases will be 12 months with sub leasing explicitly prohibited. Additional elements include a parking deck/garage for tenants in the building. Construction of the project is expected to commence during the summer/fall of 2024 with full operation by fall 2026.
155 Garland Street
A 10% PILOT arrangement was approved with Innovo Breakwater Apartments, LLC for 15 Years to support workforce housing throughout a minimum of 80% of the residential units. Delivered in fall 2020, 155 Garland Street is a mixed use building with 24 studio units (450 sf), 35 one-bedroom units (670 sf), 16 two-bedroom units (1,047 sf) and 3 three-bedroom units (2,115 sf). As of January 2023, the apartments are 95% occupied. The 9,805 square feet of ground floor retail is currently 100% leased to three small business tenants with a weighted-average lease term of about 8 years. The PILOT arrangement will offer a minimum of 80% of the 78 units to households earning incomes between 80% and 120% AMI.