Dear Blossom Hill Families:
It’s hard to believe, but we are wrapping up the first trimester this Friday and Parent/Teacher Conferences are just around the corner. They will be held November 1st-5th. Restructured days have been calendared for that week with students in grades 1-5 being dismissed at 12:10. The kindergarten classes will follow the AM kindergarten schedule Monday through Friday and be released at 11:30. All classroom teachers sent home scheduling information this week. If you have not done so already, please be sure to respond and schedule your conference with your child’s teacher as soon as possible.
Parent /Teacher Conferences provide an opportunity for parents and teachers to share information that will promote social/emotional development and academic achievement. Both parties bring their own expertise to the meeting. As parents, you are extremely knowledgeable about your child. You understand what motivates them: their strengths, challenges, dreams, and qualms. Teachers bring important information about learning styles, age appropriate skills, developmental milestones, peer relationships, and an understanding of where your child is on their educational journey.
In order to maximize the value of the home/school connection for student learning, consider these tips for a successful conference:
1. Prior to the meeting, ask your child questions, such as, “What is your favorite subject?” “In which subject would you like to improve?” “In what subject have you learned the most so far this year?” Also, ask your child if he or she has any concerns they want you to discuss with the teacher.
2. Look over recent assignments so that you know how your child is progressing.
3. At the conference, ask the teacher questions to better understand your child’s progress and needs. “What is my child particularly good at doing?” “Are there things my child is reluctant to try right now?” “Are there things that he or she does that surprise you?”
4. Be open to suggestions from the teacher. Check to see if there are things you can do at home to help your child be more prepared for school.
5. Share positive comments about your child and their experiences at school.
6. Expect to hear about something your child will be challenged to improve.
7. Share any concerns so the teacher can understand your child, along with any relevant information that may point to a solution.
8. Since conferences are tightly scheduled, please arrive promptly.
9. Please do not leave your child unattended anywhere on campus, inside or outside, during the conference. Please feel free to visit our Scholastic Book Fair before or after your conference, but do not leave your child unattended at the Book Fair while you are at your conference. If you need childcare, Club House allows drop-in visits (four hour minimum). You may call them at (408) 335-2131 for more information. Space is limited.
As a parent, you are your child’s first and most important teacher. Upon conclusion of the conference, be sure to discuss with your child what you learned and share how you will continue to help with learning at home. Also, ask for his or her suggestions.
Thank you for taking the time to thoughtfully prepare and actively participate in your child’s Parent/Teacher Conference. We are whole-heartedly committed to building a strong home/school partnership to ensure your child’s ongoing growth and success.
In education together,
Principal, Blossom Hill School