Complete information on all services, facilities and programs.
Check out our Facebook page for the most up-to-date MRD info.
The Winter 2016-2017 Activity Guide is Available Online Now by
! This was mailed by December 5th, with registration starting that day. The Winter Guide has complete Community Rec. Center (CRC) Info. including the CRC Grand Opening Weekend 1/27/17 to 1/29/17. See the full article below. The current guide is also always available at
- The CRC is here, just in time to renew your New Year's Resolution. See pages 7-19 of the current MRD Winter Activity Guide at www.montroserec.com.
The guide has complete information on how the CRC can help you be active and healthy, and have a lot of fun doing it! This is regardless of your age, ability, level of fitness or experience in athletics, aquatics or fitnes
s. Choose from a diversity of pass options to use this amazing new facility including a Corporate Membership Program, which provides the best deal on the CRC! Click here for more information.
- Transition from the Aquatic Center to the CRC is happening now! We are in the process of moving into the near complete CRC. See the full article below for detail on the Aquatic Center Last Hurrah on Sunday January 8th from 1pm to 6pm. Admission will be free! Then, starting January 9th, come tour the CRC at 16350 Woodgate behind Wal-Mart. Tours will happen M-F 8am to 7pm and Sat/Sun 1pm to 4pm. All registrations will be taken at the CRC starting January 9th. Those becoming members will be invited to the soft openings in January and all passes purchased in January will not begin until January 30th! The CRC Grand Opening will be on Friday January 27th! See the full article below for information on these festivities! Thanks for your support and patronage!
Construction of the Community Recreation Center is Almost Done!
to see the construction camera. Virtual 3D renderings of the Community Recreation Center are also available. Click here to experience what it'll look like to be in your CRC! Join us January 9th to January 26th for a real life tour of your CRC (M-F 8am to 7pm, Sat/Sun 1pm to 4pm)! The facility will not be ready for use but we'll be completing program and pass registrations in addition to giving tours. The CRC is located at 16350 Woodgate Road, behind Wal-Mart.
- Program Highlights for more info., see corresponding program section below or the Winter Guide):
Classes for every level from Twinges in the Hinges (Tues/Thur at 9am), to Aqua Aerobics (MWF at 8am), the Aerobic Zone (Tues/Thur at 8am), the Splash Aerobics (MWF at 11am) and the Deep (Tues/Thur at 11am). Classes are included with admission. Classes will run until Jan. 8th, when the pool closes down except Fitzone. Classes will resume January 30th at the CRC!
32 classes per week included with admission! Fitzone will continue at the Aquatic Center through Jan. 26th, at which time all classes will move to the CRC.
- High School Basketball: Registration Deadline of January 6th. Played at the CRC!
- 1st and 2nd Grade Youth Basketball: Registration Deadline of January 30th. Played at the CRC!
- Adult Spring Volleyball: Registration Deadline of February 27th. Played at the CRC!
- Youth Spring Soccer: Registration Deadline of March 13.
- Youth Spring Lacrosse: Registration Deadline of March 27.
Happy New Year! It'll be a great new year for the quality of life and health of our fine community! Thanks for being a patron and/or supporter!
The CRC Set to Open for
Grand Opening Weekend January 27-29!
The Aquatic Center's Last Hurrah!
After almost thirty years (11/21/1987), the Montrose Aquatics Center will close it's doors to the public on Sunday January 8th, except for Fit Zone in the Apex and Omni rooms. Patrons can still begin renewing their New Year's resolutions with Fit Zone at the Aquatic Center until January 26th. Then, the Community Rec. Center will open and all will be able to enjoy a plethora of recreation activities available to active and healthy.
Once the CRC is open, construction crews will shift over to the Aquatic Center. The building will be re-purposed into the Field House, a one of a kind indoor turf field for youth and adults. The Aquatics Center has seen Ghouls at the Pool, Santa Splashing, Aqua egg hunts, Dog Days of Summe
r and numerous swim meet ribbons handed out. Thousands of children have learned how to swim at the Aquatic Center. Friday Family Fun night has been a night that takes families away from electronics to recreate together.
MRD would like to celebrate the great positive impact the facility has had on Montrose. We will be having
One Last Hoorah
at the Aquatics Center from 1-6pm on Sunday January 8th. All will be admitted for FREE, just like the CRC Grand Opening weekend! Along with FREE admission and snow cones, there will give-a-ways all afternoon, and an opportunity to take photos with a Lifeguard! Please join us at the Aquatics Center on Sunday January 8th, and then for our Grand Opening of the Recreation Center on January 27th. For full CRC information, see the current MRD Winter Activity Guide. For questions on the Aquatic Center One Last Hurrah, Contact Liz Gracesun -
Thanks for all the support and use of the Aquatic Center over the almost 30 years!
CRC Construction Updates
images below are from recent CRC site tours.
Click Here to view the onsite construction cam for the latest on the construction project.
You can also view a time-lapse video of the construction progress.
Congrats to Miguel Lopez, MRD's Full Time Employee of the Quarter! Through hard work, a great attitude, extensive knowledge and skill, Miguel provides essential maintenance of all MRD facilities. He truly understands the critical role played by the Maintenance Department in providing quality, well-maintained, clean and safe services. Working closely with and leading a team of three other full time staff and a host of part-time employees, Miguel helps ensure MRD achieves its mission of building community and quality of life in Montrose. As MRD is set to open the doors on the Community's Recreation Center later this month, Montrose can rest assured their amazing new facility is in good hands.
Note: all Fit Zone classes will occur at the Aquatic Center
until Jan. 26th (even though the pool will close on Jan. 9th). Starting Jan. 27th, all Fit Zone classes will begin happening at the CRC!
Welcome to 2017!
Make this YOUR year for health and fitness!
With our incredible new Montrose Community Recreation Center opening later this month, there are so many ways that it can contribute to a healthier you!
Fit Zone has classes going on now, but
starting on Jan. 30th
, we will have 42 group fitness classes every week at the new CRC! Here are the classes that we will be offering:
mba, Strength & Conditioning, Yoga, Body Sculpting, Barre, Circuit Training, STRONG by Zumba, TRX Nation, Silver Sneakers Classic and Silver Sneakers Cardio Fit...something for everyone! Our dedicated instructors want to help you meet your goals and will be there to keep you motivated and encouraged!
Be sure to check out our new class schedule and get a jump start by attending the classes
going on NOW at MRD FIt Zone!!! Make 2017 the best and healthiest year ever!!! We look forward to seeing you!
View the FitZone Calendar
to view daily fitness class schedule.
This program is designed to be inclusive and inviting. Program Facilitator Manual Delgado, is a Physical Therapist with Mountain View Therapy, who holds a Master's Degree in Physical Therapy and has a speed and agility certification. The twice-weekly class will be specifically designed to not only be fun bu to teach proper form, increase strength, coordination, conditioning & improve confidence.
- Dates: Tuesdays & Thursdays Feb. 7 through March 9th
- Time: 5:30 - 6:30 p.m.
- Fee: $50
- Ages: 8 - 14
- Registration Deadline: Monday, Jan. 30th
- Location: Montrose CRC
This is a coed clinic open to all 5 year old through kindergartners. It is a fun and exciting way to introduce young kids to the game of basketball! Instruction will focus on the fundamentals of basketball: dribbling, passing, shooting, defensive positioning and FUN! We use smaller basketballs and shorter baskets to make this clinic perfect for young kids.
- Session 1 Mondays Feb. 6 to 27th
- Session 2 Wednesdays, Feb. 8th to March 1
- Time: 5:00 - 5:45 p.m.
- Fee: $25
- Location: Montrose CRC
- Registration Deadline: Mon, Jan 30
DENVER NUGGETS SKILLS CHALLENGE
Fee competition sponsored by the Denver Nuggets. Come show off your skills and see how you rate among other kids in your age group. Athletes will compete in shooting, passing and dribbling competitions. Boys and girls compete separately. Register at the event!
- Date: Saturday, Jan. 28th
- Time: 2:00 p.m.
- Ages: 6 to 13 years old as of 4/30/2017
- Location: Montrose CRC
- Fee: FREE!!
1st & 2nd GRADE BASKETBALL - 1301006
A great way to introduce your child to the sport. 8 ft. hoops and smaller basketballs are used to teach the fundamentals and guarantee success and confidence. The first three clinics will focus on skill development. The last clinic is "game day." Register soon as space is limited.
- Dates: Saturdays, Feb. 4 through 25th
- Time: 8:30 to 9:45 a.m.
- Ages: 1st & 2nd Grade
- Fee: $30
- Registration Deadline: Monday, Jan. 30th
- Location: Montrose CRC
UPCOMING YOUTH SPORTS CHECK BACK FOR MORE DETAILS
Volleyball - March
Spring Soccer - March
5th & 6th and 7th & 8th Grade Volleyball - March
Spring Lacrosse - March
(click activity number listed next to program to register online)
35+ BASKETBALL LEAGUE- 1401002
Beginning in February we will be offering a fun 35 and older basketball league. This is for all men and women interested in competing in a fun, laid-back environment. Rules will be altered to help slow the game and make it more enjoyable. Games will be self-officiated. Form your own team or register as a free agent. All player son your team must be 35+.
- Organizational Meeting: Tuesday, Feb. 7 at 6:00 p.m. at the McNeil Office
- League Games: Sundays; Feb. 12 - Apr. 9
- Time: 1:00 - 4:00 p.m.
- Team Fee: $200
- Location: Montrose Community Rec Center Gym
NOON PICK-UP BASKETBALL
Come play some ball over your lunch hour. Teams will be made as people show up. Socialize, play and get fit! Show up when you can.
- Days: Monday - Friday
- Time: 11:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.
- Fee: CRC General Admission or Passes
Upcoming Adult Sports
4 v 4 Volleyball - March
SILVER SNEAKERS CLASSES - NEW
On December 6, we began offering Silver Sneakers classes including:
Cardio Fit and Classic.
Click Here for class descriptions on Pg. 14. These classes
will be held at the MRD Aquatic Center Apex and Omni rooms.
Talk to a customer service representative
for information on how to sign up for Silver Sneakers and get
a free annual pass to use at the recreation center call (970) 249-7705!
- Silver Sneaker Classic:
- Dates: Tuesdays January 3 - 24
- Time: 12:00 p.m.
- Instructor: Kira Hussong
- Silver Sneaker Cardio Fit:
- Dates: Thursdays January 5 - 26
- Instructor: Tara Wilson
1501024 (Limited Space Remaining)
Paonia Business Tours:
The Cirque, Revolution Brewing and Elsewhere Studios plus lunch in Paonia. The Cirque is a unique business model, housing 3 independent businesses. The Cirque Cyclery, Remedy Juice Bar and Cafe and Shish KaBike Repairs. Revolution Brewing is a family owned and run business. The owners believe in good beer, good cheer and local pride. The tasting room is located in a former church. Elsewhere Studios is an artists in residency program that provides space and time for artists to create art in a unique and supportive environment. Elsewhere consists of artistically crafted living and studio spaces.
- Date: Thursday, Jan. 5
- Time: 8:45 a.m. - approx 3:30 p.m.
- Fee: $24 (Bring money for lunch)
- Location: Meet at the Senior Center at 8:30 a.m.
(click activity number listed next to program to register online)
COMMUNITY RECREATION CENTER POOL INFORMATION!
The 2016/2017 Winter Activity Guide is out and has all the information you need about the grand opening of the new Community Recreation Center! For more information about the Community Recreation Center
TRANSITION TO NEW COMMUNITY RECREATION CENTER
- Saturday January 8th is the last day of operation of the pool at the Aquatic Center
- January 9th - 27th the new CRC front desk will be open and tours of the building will be offered
- Wednesday January 18th and Tuesday January 24th will be a soft openings of the CRC for annual pass holders from 8 - 11 am and 4 - 7 p.m. This will be a time to come use the facility before the grand opening.
- Friday January 27th through January 29th is the grand opening weekend and is free to the public
- Monday January 30th the CRC will be open for normal business hours.
CRC PRIVATE PARTY PACKAGES!!
to see the new party packages that will be offered at the new Montrose Community Recreation Center! With so many amenities we are excited to invite you to customize your party package to fit your party needs.
The next round of Swim Lessons will be offered in the new Community Recreation Center starting in February. Dates and and class information are available
WINTER AFTER SCHOOL SWIM
MRD and First Student have teamed up to provide an after school swim time. First Student buses will transport children from Oak Grove, Cottonwood, Johnson, and Northside. Students from other area schools may also take advantage of our special rate. A permission slip is required, and children under the age of seven must pass a swim test.
Dates: Aug. 16 - May 24
Fee: $3 daily or $57 for a 20 punch pass
Day: Monday - Thursday
Time: 2:30 - 5:15 p.m.
Make a splash with water exercise! This is the perfect exercise for people just starting a routine, or those that want to diversify their workouts! Water aerobics offers a great cardiovascular workout that will tone the entire body. The buoyancy of the water also helps protect the joints and is perfect for participants at all levels. Please
to see specifics on classes offered and times classes meet.
- 20-Use Punch Card (for use in any class)
- Drop-In Fee: $4.25
- Classes offered:
- Aqua Aerobics
- Splash Aerobics
- Express Aerobics
- The Aerobic Zone
- Twinges in the Hinges
- The Deep
- NEW AQUA SALSA!
PRIVATE SWIM LESSONS
Private lessons offer a one to one instructor/student ratio. Private lessons are offered during public swim hours and must be arranged through the Aquatic Coordinator. For more information call the MRD Aquatic Center at 249-7705
- Fee: $60 - 3 lesson minimum
- $20 per 1/2 hour lessons
BEGINNING SPANISH FOR ADULTS - 1203018
Learning a foreign language is fun! This 6 week beginnign course will teach you very basic Spanish through a variety of engaging games, hands-on activities and music. A follow-up class will be offered in the Spring. Dare to be bi-lingual!
- Days: Tuesdays; Jan. 17- Feb. 21
- Fee: $75 (all materials provided)
- Time: 9:30 - 10:45 a.m.
- Location: McNeil Office
Tae Kwon Do is a Korean martial art that can be taught as an Olympic Sport,
for self-defense or for health and fitness. It helps develop self-confidence,
balance, self-control and leadership. Hapkido is Korean martial art used for
conditioning and self-defense. Students ages 7 to adult. Veterans may take
the class for free. Instructor Ed Ulibari is a Master instructor with 30+ years
of teaching experience. You may try one class for free to decide if it's right
for you prior to registering.
- Session 2: January 3 - 26
- Session 3: February 2 - 28
- Session 4: March 2 - 30
- Time: Tuesdays & Thursdays 4:45 - 6:00 p.m.
- Fee: $30/ session
- Location: Warrior Resource Center 11 S. Park Ave.
- Instructor: Master Ed Ulibarri
T'ai Chi Chih® is a set of movements focused on the development
of intrinsic energy called Chi. T'ai Chi Chih® is not a martial art and is
completely non-violent. It does not require a particular level of physical
fitness or coordination. For those with physical limitations, movements
may be done seated with some modification. No special clothing or
equipment is required.
- Fee: $50/ session for 50 and older $60/session for over 50.
- Date: Mondays January 9th - February 27th (no class on Feb. 20th)
- Time: 10:00 - 11:00 a.m.
- Location: Montrose Senior Center
- Instructor: Dan Mohr
PICKLEBALL DROP-IN PLAY
Pickleball is a racquet sport which combines the elements of badminton, tennis, and table tennis. It is played on 20'x44' court. This game is easy form beginners to learn, but can develop into a quick, fast-paced, competitive game for players. Your first intro class is free! Join anytime. New players receive written information with the rules of play. Come play on the courts with newly painted pickleball lines. Call Cindy at 252-4884 for more information.
- Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays & Saturdays 1:30 - 3:30 p.m.
- December & January Time 1:30 - 3:00 p.m.
- Fee: $3 Drop-in fee ($25 for 10 punch card) or $15/month unlimited play
- Location: Aquatic Center Tennis/Pickleball Courts
- Responsibilities include the safe supervision of all pool and deck area, as well as basic pool maintenance. Consistent rule enforcement along with excellent customer service skills required. Candidates must have current American Red Cross Lifeguarding, CPR and First Aid Certifications. Please submit full application packet to email@example.com. Please email Liz a letter of interest, resume and completed application to the individual listed for more information. Applications may also be turned in at the MRD Aquatic Center, 25 Colorado Ave. The application is found by going to http://www.montroserec.com/
Water Safety Instructors
- This position is responsible for planning and implementing swim lessons according the American Red Cross standards. Instructors will be asked to provide both public and private swim lesson classes. Bilingual ability is strongly desired. Candidates must have a current American Red Cross Water Safety Instructors certification. Classes for this certification are held on an ongoing basis. Please submit full application packet to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please email Melissa a letter of interest, resume and completed application to the individual listed for more information. Applications may also be turned in at the MRD Aquatic Center, 25 Colorado Ave. The application is found by going to http://www.montroserec.com/