Complete information on all services, facilities and programs.
Check out our Facebook page for the most up-to-date MRD info.
The Spring 2017 Activity Guide is Available Online Now by
! This will be mailed by March 6th, with registration starting that day. The Spring Guide has complete Community Rec. Center (CRC) information. The current guide is also always available at
- Scholarships for Youth in Need Now Apply to Facility Access! Thanks to effective fundraising by the MRF and a generous grant from the Anchutz Family Foundation, youth in need may now get a scholarship for a 20 punch pass! We are also offering a new program, the Intro to Your CRC, a one month program that will teach youth how to best take advantage the CRC. At the end, youth will earn a 20 punch pass. All this for only $36 for youth eligible for free/reduced lunch. See p. 29 of the Spring activity guide.
- Field House Construction is progressing! As a part of the CRC project, the old Aquatic Center is being converted into an indoor turf Field House. It will also have three multipurpose rooms and the existing outdoor pool. Demolition of the old indoor pool is occurring right now. The deck and gutters have been removed, and the entire pool has been filled in. See the pictures below! The project is slated to be complete by mid 2017.
- Congrats to the MRD Sweet 16 Pickleball Tournament Winners!
On February 8th, the CRC hosted 60 players and a lot of great play. Here are the results:
3.0 1st Cathy James, 2nd Linda Hansen, 3rd Christine Meier;
3.5 (morning group) 1st Jack Elsea, 2nd Merle Lawrensen, 3rd Rich Garrett;
3.5 (afternoon) 1st Marisa Kawauchi, 2nd Rich Barber, 3rd Lorin Stern;
4.0 1st Mike Cox, 2nd Chris Kopanos, 3rd John Kawauchi.
Program Highlights for more info., see corresponding program section below or the Spring Guide):
Aqua Aerobics: Classes for every level from Twinges in the Hinges (Tues/Thur at 9am), to Aqua Aerobics (MWF at 8am), the Aerobic Zone (Tues/Thur at 8am), the Splash Aerobics (MWF at 11am) and the Deep (Tues/Thur at 11am). Classes are included with admission.
Fit Zone: 42 classes per week included with admission! All classes are now at the CRC.
- Youth Spring Volleyball: Registration Deadline of March 6th. Played at the CRC!
Lifeguard Training: Deadline of March 7th.
- Youth Spring Soccer: Registration Deadline of March 13.
Eating for Weight Loss and Energy: Deadline of March 21
- Youth Spring Lacrosse: Registration Deadline of March 27.
- Adult Drop In Soccer: Registration Deadline of Apr 10.
- Spanish for Adults Level 2: April 11
- Intro to Pickleball: April 17
- Youth Kayak Lessons: April 24
- Adult Softball: April 24
Thanks for being a patron and/or supporter!
Note from MRD Board Member Kylee Smith
Wow! What a successful CRC Grand Opening! I don't know who was prouder, the community, the MRD staff, the MRF Board, the MRD Board or, our wonderful MRD Executive Director, Ken Sherbenou. We did it! It was estimated that there were 11,000 participant visits between the three days after the Grand Opening ceremony. There was plenty of excitement and exhilaration in the air. For the next few months, the staff and the Board will be re-fining schedules, signage and what works and what needs work in the CRC to make it even better for the community. Landscaping will be completed as well as other outdoor endeavors including the perimeter trail around the CRC.
Moving forward, what's next? Spring time is the awakening of other projects. Our terrific maintenance and repair staff will be switching gears to have MRD buildings and park grounds up to snuff in time for the busy season of spring programs like youth soccer and adult softball. Our program coordinators will be scheduling participants in their leagues, meets and other events.
The Montrose Recreation Foundation (MRF), on which I also serve, will continue raising funds for facility and program scholarships for youth who are eligible for free or reduced lunch. Scholarships for facility access is new! Thanks to effective fundraising by the MRF and a generous grant from the Anschutz Family Foundation, youth in need may now get a scholarship for a 20 punch pass! Community members are always invited to volunteer and support this important work.
The Holly Park renovation project will be moving forward. The four deteriorated old courts will be torn out to prepare the way for the extension of the softball field and the creation of additional multipurpose field space for growing programs such as lacrosse and soccer. Plans are in the making of what all will be included at the picnic location.
At the old Aquatic Center location, now known as the Field House, the six beautiful tennis courts are now more available for tennis. These were resurfaced in 2014. The CRC now open home to 7 indoor Pickleball courts, as well as 6 dedicated outdoor courts with boundary lines already marked.
Pickleball players are breathing a sigh of relief for not having to set up their boundary lines and nets up every time they play their favorite game (sometimes 1-2X a day!). Cindy Marino, MRD 50+ Activities Coordinator, is commended and must be relieved to be able to schedule the courts all in one location. Prior to the opening of the CRC, she patiently scheduled Pickleball play at many cooperating locations all over town. Also at the Field House, the old defunct pool will be filled in and turfed to provide an indoor field for pretty much any activity you can play on a field. We hope the high school can and will find use before and during school at this great new facility for the community.
The classrooms, Apex and Omni, will continue to be used, along with a third new room, the Summit room. These can be rented by contacting Coz Sisneros at email@example.com or 249.7705. See page 17 for rental information. The outdoor pool is still in good shape and will continue to serve the community for the next few years. It'll be open this summer after the renovation is complete and it will be open through Labor Day. If you have not had an opportunity to see your new Community Rec Center, we welcome you M-F, 6:00- 9:00, Saturdays 8:00-8:00 and Sundays 12:00-6:00.
Montrose Community Recreation Center Grand Opening!
FitZone Classes in the new FitZone room at the CRC! Over 40 classes happen per week, all of which are included with admission.
Thank you to all who participated and spectated our first basketball seasons in the new CRC! It was the first of many great seasons in the CRC!
The Field House Construction is Progressing!
We would like to recognize Zumba student, Joe Noll!
Joe Noll is a 23 year old young man with Down's syndrome and has lived in Colorado all his life. He and his family love to dance, but Zumba has become more than just a dance class for Joe. He says, "Zumba just feels good! I hear the flow through my ears and I have the freedom to express myself!" He loves that he can come to Zumba, be among friends and feel the support from all the other students - especially his mother, Lucy, who attends Zumba with him. Joe is an inspiration to everyone who comes to Zumba at MRD Fit Zone. His smile and energy are infectious! You will usually find him in the front row or partnering up with instructor, Jenni Malone, to dance to Black or White by Michael Jackson - AND showing off a little "attitude" and his own brand of "flava!" Zumba has brought out something so special in Joe and reminds us all of just how amazing Zumba can and should be!
View the FitZone Calendar Here
to view daily fitness class schedule.
INTRO TO YOUR CRC - 204300
Come learn everything you need to know about the brand new Montrose Community Recreation Center. Each night we will spend in a different part of the facility trying out all it has to offer. Kids will explore everything from the climbing wall to the game room to the FitZone. The best part is that each participant will receive a free 20 punch pass to the Rec Center on the last day of the program. Sign up ASAP as space is limited.
- Fee: $72 or $36 for kids on Free & Reduced Lunch
- Dates: Tuesdays & Thursdays, April 11 thru May 4
- Time: 7:00 - 8:00 p.m.
- Bonus: Complete the program and receive a FREE 20 punch pass
- Ages: 8 - 14 years old
5TH - 8TH GRADE VOLLEYBALL
The numbers for this program have been increasing each year thanks to great volunteer coaches! Teams will again practice twice a week and play a total of six matches on Friday evenings throughout the season. This is a great way for kids to learn the fundamentals of this exciting game while exercising with friends and teammates.
- Fee: $38
- Practices Dates: Mondays & Wednesdays or Tuesdays & Thursdays at area schools beginning March 13
- Registration Deadline: Monday, March 6th
- Games: Friday nights at the Community Rec Center
- Practice Times: 5:30 or 6:45 p.m.
- Last day of season: April 21st
Soccer is a fun way for kids to get off the couch, meet new friends and stay in shape! Our great volunteer coaches make this program a blast for both the kids and the parents. Sign up early to avoid the late fee and get your choice of practice days. All participants are required to wear shin guards and the MRD jersey on game days. These can be purchased for $24 at the MRD Recreation Center and can be worn for many seasons. Volunteer coaches make the program possible and we always need more. If you are interested in coaching contact Justin Mashburn at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Fee: $38
- Practice Times: 5:30 or 6:30 p.m.
- Registration Deadline: Monday, March 13
- Coach Training: Thursday, March 23 at 7:00 p.m. at Rec Center
- Practice Begins: March 27 (No practices over Spring Break)
- Games April 15 to May 20
Lacrosse is fun, fast-paced and a great way for fall and winter athletes to stay active, in shape and sharpen eye-hand coordination. During the spring season we will schedule games against teams from across the Western Slope and travel to a couple of tournaments. MRD has equipment to lend players on a first registered first served basis. New this year: teams will be based on age as of August 31st, not grade as we have previously done.
- Fee: $50
- Practice: Weeknights starting March 20
- Games: April 15 thru May 20
- Time: 5:30 p.m. or 6:30 p.m.
- Location: Practices at Cerise Park
- Ages: U9, U11, U13 & U15
- Registration Deadline: March 27
(click activity number listed next to program to register online)
Teams will play a 14 game round robin schedule with a post season tournament. Men's & Women's leagues will play on Mondays & Wednesdays, Coed Leagues will play on Tuesdays & Thursdays. Some teams may play on Fridays. No Late Registrations!
- Team Fees: Can be paid in fully or pay a deposit of $200 to reserve your spot and pay the remainder before the first game. Teams not paid in full before participation will be assessed a $25 fee for each game played without paying.
- League Schedules: Will be available online at gameonmobile.com. Search MRD to find the 2017 Adult Softball Schedule.
- Fee: $525
- Time: 6:15 - 10:15 p.m.
- Dates: May 8 - August 10
- Registration Deadline: April 24 (No Late Registrations)
NOON PICK-UP BASKETBALL
Come play some ball over your lunch hour. Teams will be made as people show up. Socialize, play and get fit! Show up when you can.
- Days: Monday - Friday
- Time: 11:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.
- Fee: CRC General Admission or Passes
ADULT SOFTBALL UMPIRE TRAINING
Umpiring is a great way to stay involved and in shape while earning money. This essential training will prepare you to be an umpire in the MRD Adult Softball leagues. If you are a new umpire for the MRD, please pre-register with Wade by calling 249-7705 ext. 270.
- Dates: Tuesday, April 18 & 25
- On field session: Monday May 1 & Tuesday May 2
- Time: 6:30 p.m.
- Location: McNeil Office
SILVER SNEAKERS CLASSES - NEW
Silver Sneakers is on a mission to make fitness more fun and accessible to boomers and beyond by providing well designed fitness classes set to your favorite tunes. Please note: You do not have to be a Silver Sneakers member to participate in these classes.
- Silver Sneakers Classic:
- Time: 10:30 a.m.
- Date: Tuesdays
- Instructor: Kira Hussong
- Silver Sneakers Cardio Fit
- Time: 10:30 a.m.
- Date: Thursdays
- Instructor: Tara WIlson
- Silver Sneakers Yoga
- Time: 9:30 a.m.
- Date: Fridays
- Instructor: Julie Christy
Hotchkiss Paranormal Investigators (HPI) at the Museum of the Mountain West
Hotchkiss Paranormal Investigators were co-founded in 2012 by Hector Zeferino and Ethan Coe. Their crew has been on 28 investigations including the Stanley Hotel in Estes Park, Outlaws and Lawmen Jail in Cripple Creek and the Museum of the Mountain West in Montrose. On this day, Bob DeQuinze will give information about the museum and its history. HPI will show some evidence from their findings at a previous investigation held at the Museum of the West. They will set up equipment and conduct a small investigation on site giving us an opportunity to witness paranormal activity.
- Date: Thursday, March 16
- Time: 3:00 - approx. 5:00 p.m.
- Location: Meet at the Museum of the Mountain West
- Fee: $24 (includes fee to the Museum)
MONDAY NIGHT OUT
Join us the third Monday of every month for excellent food, company, games and dancing. Pick and choose the activities you want to participate in on Monday Night Out.
- Fee: $2 donation
- Dates: March 20, April 17 & May 15
- Location: Montrose Senior Center
- Bingo: 4:00 - 5:00 p.m.
- Potluck: 5:00 - 6:00 p.m. (bring a dish to share, beverages provided)
- Jam Session: 4:00 - 6:00 p.m.
- Hand and Foot: 5:45 - 8:00 p.m.
- Line Dancing: 6:00 - 8:00 p.m.
(click activity number listed next to program to register online)
LIFEGUARD TRAINING - 1103016
This course teaches CPR, First Aid and all the rescue techniques. This class is offered to individuals 15 years and older. This will be a blended learning course with instruction both online and in the pool. Students will be charged an additional $35 by the American Red Cross when enrolling for the online portion. Participant must be available to attend all in-person training sessions. Required pre-test is a 300 meter swim (12 Lengths), two minute water tread without hands and retrieving a ten pound brick from the bottom of the pool 9 feet or deeper.
- Location: Montrose Community Recreation Center
- Fee: $100
- Date/time: Wed. March 29 - Course orientation 3:00 - 4:00 p.m.
- Saturday April 1 - 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
- Sunday April 2 - 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
- Monday April 3 - 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
- Tuesday April 4 -9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
- Wednesday April 5 - 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
CRC PRIVATE PARTY PACKAGES!!
to see the new party packages that will be offered at the new Montrose Community Recreation Center! With so many amenities we are excited to invite you to customize your party package to fit your party needs.
WATER SAFETY INSTRUCTOR COURSE -
This course provides swim lesson instructor candidates the training needed to teach children and adults how to swim. Participants develop their understanding of how to use the course materials, how to conduct training sessions and how to evaluate the progress of participants.
- Dates: March 15, 21 & 22 5:00 - 9:00 p.m.
- March 18 & 25 8:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
- Fee: $130
- Must be 16 years or older
PADI OPEN WATER DIVER COURSE
This Open Water Diver Course teaches the skills necessary to become a comfortable and confident diver. Home study will be required in addition to the dates below. Open water checkout dives requires 2 additional days and an additional fee. Dates to be announced.
- Dates: March 17, 18, 19 & 20
- Time: Friday March 17 - 4:00 - 8:00 p.m.
- Saturday March 18 and Sunday March 19 - 8:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
- Monday March 30 - TBD
- Fee: $250 plus student material cost
- Instructor: Kevin Dunkak
- Ages: 12 and older
The next round of Swim Lessons will be offered in the new Community Recreation Center starting in February. Dates and and class information are available
Make a splash with water exercise! This is the perfect exercise for people just starting a routine, or those that want to diversify their workouts! Water aerobics offers a great cardiovascular workout that will tone the entire body. The buoyancy of the water also helps protect the joints and is perfect for participants at all levels. Please
to see specifics on classes offered and times classes meet.
- 20-Use Punch Card (for use in any class)
- Drop-In Fee: Senior $5 Adult $6
- Classes offered:
- Aqua Aerobics
- Splash Aerobics
- Express Aerobics
- The Aerobic Zone
- Twinges in the Hinges
- The Deep
- NEW AQUA SALSA!
This is a four class session designed for the student that is new to yoga. In this class you will learn basic yoga poses and breathing techniques. You will increase body awareness and learn techniques to quiet the mind and relax the body. Modifications will be provided for all poses to meet individual needs. This class is appropriate for those new to yoga and/or new to any exercise program.
- Days: Wednesdays
- Time: 5:30 - 6:30 p.m.
- Dates: March 8, 15, 22 & 29
- Fee: $36/session
- Instructor: Julie Christy, Certified Yoga Instructor
- Location: MRD Fieldhouse Apex and Omni 25 Colorado Ave.
BASIC MOTORCYCLE RIDER COURSE
To ensure safety and enjoyment, this class is a must for first time riders! No previous motorcycle riding experience is necessary to take this course taguht by TOG Motorcycle Training instrucotrs. 100% mandatory attendacne is required and successful completion of this course passes the student with both the riding skills and written portions of the Colorado State - DMV motorcycle exam. A valid driver's license or permit is required and helmets and motorcycles are provided. Participants must pre-register for this class online at:
Fee and deadline information may also be found on this website.
- Dates: March 24-26 & April 7-9
- Location: MRD McNeil Office, 1120 Riverbottem Dr.
- Days/Time: Friday, 5:30 - 10:00 p.m., Sat. & Sun 8:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
AFTERNOON DANCING FOR THE SPRING
Learn new dances in 4 week sessions. No partner is needed to participate.
- Days: Wednesdays
- Time: 2:45 - 3:45 p.m.
- Session 1: Country 2 step, March 15, 22, 29 & April 5
- Session 2: Country 3 step, April 19, 26, May 3 & 10
- Fee: $32 per 4 week session or $10 per class drop in
- Location: Montrose Senior Center Ballroom.
PICKLEBALL DROP-IN PLAY
Pickleball is a racket sport which combines the elements of badminton, tennis and table tennis. It is played on a 20' x 44' court. This game is easy for beginners to learn, but can develop into a quick, fast-paced, competitive game for experienced players. If you are new to the game we recommend you attend the Intro to Pickleball Clinic to receive instruction on how to play and to learn the rules of the game
- Days: Monday - Friday
- Times: 7:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
- Fee: Daily admission to CRC
- Location: Montrose CRC Gym
Child Watch Attendant
- This part time position will help operate the child watch area in the new CRC. Child watch will be for children of patrons while parents/guardians are using the CRC. Attendant will be responsible for supervising and entertaining children ages 3 months-10 years old. Previous experience working with children is required. Attendant must be certified or must be willing to become CPR/First Aid Certified.
Shifts are available in the mornings, evenings, weekends and in the summer, as well as anytime youth are out of school. For questions, contact Dana at 249.7705 or email@example.com. Please submit a completed application (found at montroserec.com), a resume and a cover letter attention Dana Roesener. This can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or dropped off at the Montrose Community Recreation Center, 16350 Woodgate Rd., behind Wal-Mart.
- This position is responsible for supporting the general operation of the new Montrose Community Recreation Center, including general facility operations and enforcing rules as needed. This position is crucial to maintain a clean, safe, organized and positive environment at the Community Recreation Center. Shifts are available in the evenings, weekends and in the summer, as well as anytime youth are out of school. For questions, contact Dana at 249.7705 or email@example.com. Please submit a completed application (found at montroserec.com), a resume and a cover letter attention Dana Roesener. This can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or dropped off at the Montrose Community Recreation Center, 16350 Woodgate Rd., behind Wal-Mart. Must be 18 years old with a high school diploma. Experience working with youth is strongly preferred.
- This position is responsible for supporting the general operation of the new Montrose Community Recreation Center, specifically in our custodial department. Attendant will be responsible for overall cleanliness of facility. Shifts are available in the evenings, weekends and in the summer, as well as anytime youth are out of school. For questions, contact Drew at 249.7705 or email@example.com. Please submit a completed application (found at montroserec.com), a resume and a cover letter attention Drew Wilda. This can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or dropped off at the Montrose Community Recreation Center, 16350 Woodgate Rd., behind Wal-Mart. Must be 18 years old with a high school diploma.
- Responsibilities include the safe supervision of all pool and deck area, as well as basic pool maintenance. Consistent rule enforcement along with excellent customer service skills required. Candidates must have current American Red Cross Lifeguarding, CPR and First Aid Certifications. Please submit full application packet to email@example.com. Please email Liz a letter of interest, resume and completed application to the individual listed for more information. Applications may also be turned in at the MRD CRC, 16350 Woodgate Road. The application is found by going to www.montroserec.com.
Water Safety Instructors
- This position is responsible for planning and implementing swim lessons according the American Red Cross standards. Instructors will be asked to provide both public and private swim lesson classes. Bilingual ability is strongly desired. Candidates must have a current American Red Cross Water Safety Instructors certification. Classes for this certification are held on an ongoing basis. Please submit full application packet to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please email Melissa a letter of interest, resume and completed application to the individual listed for more information. Applications may also be turned in at the MRD CRC, 16350 Woodgate Road. The application is found by going to www.montroserec.com.