1. If you are in a group of people and you say something you think is funny, but no one laughs, do not be tempted to repeat yourself. They heard you, it just wasn’t funny.
2. You and you alone shape your reputation. How will people remember you? What will you be known for? That is completely up to you.
3. Getting back up and trying again after a failure is the very definition of success. Failure is rolling over and quitting when you mess up. There is not a single invention in this world that worked on the first try.
4. Never lick a steak knife, trust me, it’s not worth it…(you'll have to ask him the story behind this one)
5. You WILL have trials and hard times in your life, period. Learn to live well, have joy and to be Christlike despite your tough times. Your life is the good times AND the bad. If you wait around for the bad times to subside, your life and many important lessons will pass you by.
6. Skateboarders will inherit the earth. Anyone who is willing to try and fail a thousand times to perfect a trick while getting really injured in the process is someone that will do alright in life.
This next rule/topic is gonna be emotionally painful…So be strong.
7. You know the phrase: If you can dream it you can do it!!! That’s not always true. Ouch. Just because you believe in yourself enough doesn’t mean you can achieve all of your dreams. Sorry!! That only works in Disney movies. Dreams without legitimate goals are just dreams. Do your absolute best and let God do the rest. And be prepared to do something outside of your comfort zone if the Lord leads you in that direction. Not everyone gets to be an astronaut when they grow up…
8. Never blame your failures and mistakes on external factors in your life. Success is striving despite your limitations.
9. "There is no neutral ground in the universe. Every square inch, every split second is claimed by God, and counterclaimed by Satan." -C. S. Lewis. There is no middle ground in your life. Everything you do is either for or against God. Let that sink in…
Guys, this next one is important for your safety…
10. Guys: Never ask a woman if she is pregnant, never… Just don’t do it. Girls: At some point in your adult life, after you may have gained a few pounds, a clueless guy might ask you if you are pregnant. This is the one circumstance where it is perfectly fine to throat punch someone.
11. If you want to gain people’s respect, own your mistakes. Making excuses chips away at your integrity and character.
12. Remember that everyone you meet has a story. They are the way they are and they act the way they act due to the totality of their life circumstances. Be patient, kind, and understanding. Chances are, someone has done the same for you.
13. In everything you do, always give 100%! Unless you are donating blood...then don’t.
Seriously, please pay attention to this next one…
14. Everything you put on your social media is the permanent property of the internet and can be searched for decades to come by future employers and potential boyfriends/girlfriends. It is on there permanently. Use discretion and wisdom before posting anything on social media.
15. If you ever feel lonely, dim the lights and put on a horror movie. After a while, you won’t feel alone anymore…
16. The only thing you truly have control of in your life is your integrity. Your health, money and friends can be compromised, but you have the ultimate control over your decisions, actions and words.
This next rule will save your life so pay attention…
17. If you are ever on a campout or a nature hike in the wilderness, make sure you are with a friend that cannot run as fast as you. Bears will usually choose the slowest person to eat… Just sayin. The moral to the story: Only be friends with slow, out of shape people.
18. Take it from me, you always have more in you than you think. No matter how bad you feel, how much pain you are in or how hard the challenge is. You can always push yourself further and harder.
19. Do not look at your failures as wasted time. Each failure hones your ability to make successful decisions in the future. They are an essential building block in shaping your character.
20. You are fearfully and wonderfully made in the image of God. Through Christ, your life has worth and a purpose. If you ask Him, your sins will be forgiven and forgotten. Relationships take work and effort to stay healthy. Your relationship with Christ is the most important relationship you will ever have. Pray daily and read God’s word. You will not regret it! If you have any questions about a relationship with Jesus Christ, ask any one of our ACA faculty, staff or your house leaders.