In 2015, the American Renewal Project hosted pastors and pews events preparing for the first four presidential primaries in 2016: Iowa, New Hampshire, South Carolina, and Nevada. Participants included Mike Huckabee, LA Governor Bobby Jindal, TX Governor Rick Perry, TX Senator Ted Cruz, KY Senator Rand Paul, and FL Senator Marco Rubio.
On May 3, 2016, Donald J. Trump clinched the Republican nomination with his victory in the Indiana primary. The race to become the next president was down to Hillary Rodham Clinton and Donald J. Trump.
Some Evangelical leaders got caught up in the ‘Never Trump’ movement. Russell Moore, the president of the Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission (ERLC) of the Southern Baptist Convention (SBC), declared in a Washington Post opinion piece of October 9, 2016, that
“If Donald Trump has done anything, he has snuffed out the Religious Right.” The article seemed an effort to suppress Evangelical turnout on Election Day.
On May 10, 2016, we examined the
‘Never Trump’ movement in an editorial addressed to 100,000 American Renewal Project pastors:
“What and how will Mr. Trump do? I don’t have a clue.
“But with Hillary we do know. The progressives that she will stack on the Supreme Court alone will set back America for a century. Americans may well lose 1) their Second Amendment right to ‘keep and bear Arms’ and 2) their religious liberty (Kim Davis was just the warm-up act). Codifying transgender bathrooms rights will only be the beginning of nine unelected and unaccountable Justices imposing a godless agenda, tearing America apart brick-by-brick.”
(read full story here:
Fast-forwarding now to June 2018, a list of President Trump’s victories includes:
• Defending religious liberty.
• Standing up for the unborn.
• Defunding Planned Parenthood.
• Appointing conservative jurists to the Supreme Court and federal appeals courts.
• Reinstating the Mexico City Policy [policy blocking U.S. federal funding for non-governmental organizations that provide abortion counselling or referrals, advocate to decriminalize abortion or expand abortion services].
• Rescinding the Johnson Amendment by Executive Order.
• Commitment to sign the Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act.
• Opening the U.S. Embassy in Jerusalem. “Today, we finally acknowledge the obvious: that Jerusalem is Israel’s capital,” Trump said. Many promised for nearly three decades, only Donald Trump kept his word.
A good explanation for the Trump phenomenon, aside from the Left’s narrative, would be
“God helps those who cannot help themselves.”