November 2017 - In This Issue
This week EdGate rolled out a brand new Standards and Correlation API. Our new API
gives clients and their developers complete flexibility and control in creating tools to display standards and correlation data. The new API offers the ability to do the following:
- Granular search and browsing of standards
- Find other related standards
- Find other related content
- Ability to upload, edit, delete content metadata
- Ability to batch upload, edit, delete content
- And more....
To read about Edgate's new API and how it can save your company time and money, check out the Press Release.
As always, EdGate is your source for staying current with new developments in education and the impact of educational standards.
EdGate General Manager
Incorporating Competency-Based Learning
Competency-based learning has become increasingly popular in higher learning and K-12 environments. This model requires students to demonstrate mastery of a subject rather than relying on hours spent to determine readiness to advance. This method demands more from educators in terms of time and planning, but benefits students of
all types. High achievers are able to move ahead when ready and struggling students are given the time needed to fully grasp concepts before progressing. In order to prevent teacher burnout, administrators should ensure that curriculum clearly identifies standards and their relevant competencies in order to place them strategically throughout the curriculum with an appropriate level of focus.
EdGate is your resource for State DOE Third Party Reviews
More State Departments of Education are requiring an outside party to perform an objective, 'third party review' of content being considered for approval. The main purpose is to verify the correlations to a state's standards that a publisher asserts are justifiable correlations. As part of this review, the state also requires the third party reviewer to provide a correlation percentage of the publisher's content to their state standards. The threshold for approval is usually 90% correlated alignment. Examples of states requiring third party reviews are Virginia and Indiana.
EdGate has been performing third party reviews for publishers for years, and are well-known within the Virginia DOE for our service.
If you are planning on submitting your content for approval, EdGate can help you by performing the third party review, and supplying the accompanying documentation stating the percentage of correlation for each of your submissions.
EdGate is there for your needs, so contact your EdGate project manager or sales rep to set the wheels in motion!
By: Larry Johnson
By: Kathleen Ideguchi
Be one of the first publishers to have your correlations connected with the
Georgia Department of Education Competency and Academic Standards Exchange (CASE) identifiers
. Looking to feed your correlations into systems that are compatible with the Georgia Standards of Excellence and their CASE identifiers? Look no further than EdGate. If your content is currently correlated and in the EdGate repository, we can provide the Georgia CASE identifiers for correlations to the Georgia Standards of Excellence. Need correlations to Georgia and other state standards? EdGate can provide correlation services as well. Furthermore, if your company already has your content aligned to Common Core or other state standards and you need a crosswalk to the Georgia Standards of Excellence CASE identifiers, we have a mapping service that can provide the identifiers you need. If you have questions, please
contact our Account Executives
for more information.
As always, you can trust EdGate to keep the repository current with up to date on state DOE initiatives.
DIY Alignment Tool - Fast. Efficient. Effective.
- Are you spending too much time correlating content state-by-state?
- Are you tired of spinning your wheels, re-correlating your content each time states make changes to their standards?
- Are you looking to make your process more efficient and save money?
If you answered yes to any of the above, our DIY alignment tool may be just the solution you need!
EdGate's web-based tool, ExACT, has been a huge time saver for our partners who wish to manage their correlations in-house. It brings efficiency to their team by allowing them to globally align content across multiple states/organizations. In lieu of the cumbersome state-by-state process that many publishers have succumbed to doing, you can now align your content to all standards in one fell swoop!
How does it work? It's simple.
Once logged in, the user has the option to select a set of standards to which they want the content aligned, or select specific concepts from our proprietary taxonomy. Once the standards or concepts are applied by the user and they hit 'submit',
voilà! The item is aligned to all matching standards in the system!
What makes the tool so powerful? Our taxonomy.
The EdGate taxonomy is the catalyst used to globally connect content to standards. The taxonomical list was carefully built based on the concepts taught in each subject of K-12 standards. Taxonomical concepts have been assigned as applicable to all of the standards and when these same concepts are applied to content, the global connection (alignment) is made between content and standards. Whether it is our subject experts doing the tagging or yours, the process and results are the same.
How accurate is the process?
Our methodology has been successfully tested for two decades! Because our taxonomy was systematically developed by EdGate's team of subject matter experts and because we do not rely on matches made via text or natural language, the alignments made through our system are accurate!
How do I view the results? The ExPERT Reporting Tool.
In addition to the ExACT tool, users will have access to our web based reporting tool which allows them to generate reports that display the alignments for each state, grade, and subject. Client may also opt to add 'gap' which displays both correlated and non-correlated standards. This added feature helps publishers easily identify areas to focus their content development efforts.
Other deliverables such as a Bulk Download, Correlation User Interface (CUI), or Web Service API are also available.
For more information about EdGate, our services, and partners, please visit our
or feel free to
and one of our Account Executives will be happy to schedule an appointment with you.
Updates to The EdGate Standards Repository include:
- Alabama CTE- Career Preparedness (2016 - Grades 9-12)
- Arkansas CTE - Curriculum and Career Guidance (2016 - Grades 7-12)
- Australian Capital Territory Curriculum - Language Arts (2016 - Grades K-12)
- Australian Capital Territory Curriculum - Mathematics (2016 - Grades K-12)
- Australian Capital Territory Curriculum - Social Studies (2016 - Grades K-12)
- Cobb County Georgia Teaching and Learning Standards - Health and PE (2016 - Grades K-12)
- Cobb County Georgia Teaching and Learning Standards - Language Arts (2016 - Grades K-12)
- Cobb County Georgia Teaching and Learning Standards - Mathematics (2016 - Grades K-12)
- Cobb County Georgia Teaching and Learning Standards - Performing Arts (2016 - Grades K-12)
- Cobb County Georgia Teaching and Learning Standards - Science (2016 - Grades K-12)
- Cobb County Georgia Teaching and Learning Standards - Social Studies (2016 - Grades K-12)
- Cobb County Georgia Teaching and Learning Standards - World Languages (2016 - Grades K-12)
- Georgia CTE - Career Development (2007 - Grades 6-8)
- Kentucky Academic Standards - Social Studies (2015 Grades K-12)
- Minnesota CTE - Career and Technical Framework (2003 - Grades K-12)
- New Mexico CTE - Career Technical Education (2009 - Grades 7-12)
- New York Learning Standards - Arts (2017 - Grades K-12)
- North Carolina CTE - Career Development (2008 - Grades 6-CU)
- North Dakota Content Standards - Language Arts (2017 - Grades K-12)
- Nova Scotia Curriculum - Mathematics (2015 - Grades K-12)
- Scotland Curriculum for Excellence - Mathematics (2017 - Grades PreK-9)
- Scotland Curriculum for Excellence - Science (2017 - Grades PreK-9)
- South Carolina - Health and Safety Standards (2017 - Grades K-12)
- Tennessee CTE - Career Exploration (2016 - Grades 8-9)
- Tennessee CTE - Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (2016 - Grads 9-12)
- Texas CTE - Architecture and Construction (2015 - Grades 9-12)
- Texas CTE - health Sciences (2015 - Grades 9-12)
- Texas CTE - Information Technology (2015 - Grades 9-12)
- Texas CTE - Law, Public Safety, Corrections and Security (2016 - Grades 9-12)
- Texas CTE - Manufacturing (2015 - Grades 9-12)
- Texas CTE - Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (2015 - Grades 9-12)
- Texas CTE - Transportation, Distribution and Logistics (2015 - Grades 9-12)
- Texas TEKS - Health (Amended 2017 - Grades 6-12)
- Virginia Standards of Learning - Language Arts (2016 - Grades K-12)
- Virginia Standards of Learning - Mathematics (2016 - Grades K-12)
EdGate Correlation Services works with over 250 content providers to increase the value of their products in a
digital world. EdGate uses its patented technology and highly skilled staff to assure client success. Employing its nearly two decades of innovation experience, EdGate has proven learning platforms, robust metadata tools and
comprehensive correlation services to serve every clients unique needs.
EdGate currently focuses on correlation consulting, content and metadata development and management, media segmentation and licensing of international educational standards. EdGate Correlation Services LLC is a division of EDmin, Inc., a learning management and instructional technology solutions company based in San Diego, California.