In a recent petfinder.com survey, their shelter and rescue group members reported that older pets have the hardest time finding homes. It’s a sad reality that these great animals are often the last to be adopted from shelters. However, November is Adopt-a-Senior-Pet Month and we hope, with your help, to improve the adoption rate for older pets by spreading awareness about how great senior pets can be.
Story after story suggests that senior pets are especially grateful for their new home. They seem to know they’ve been rescued and owners often notice an extra special sense of love and appreciation from their senior pet.
The list can go on and on, but most importantly, when you adopt a senior pet, or even share knowledge about the need for senior pet adoptions, you are truly saving a life. We, on behalf of all the shelters and senior pets out there, thank you for that.
Want to help? Here are some things you can do:
- Share this post to a friend who wants a new pet
- Promote one senior pet on Facebook or Twitter every day this month. (On Twitter, add the hashtag #HWAHseniorpets.)
- Share a Happy Tail story.
- Post a photo of your senior pet (and tell us why he or she rules) on our Facebook wall.
- Adopt a senior pet for Adopt-A-Senior-Pet Month.