Except for the rare wild-harvested hive, essentially all honey comes from domesticated honey bees, in other words, from farms.
, local farmers Jeff Garner of BeeLicious Honey, and Chrissie Manion Zaerpoor of Kookoolan Farms and Kookoolan World Meadery, will take us from Hive to Table!
Holocene will also have Nectar Creek session meads available at the bar for you to taste.
Topics covered will be:
- Basics of backyard and small-scale commercial beekeeping
- Appreciating varietal honeys, and the difference between real honey and commodity honey
- Basics of harvesting honey from a hive
- How to make mead
- Commercial meaderies of the northwest (16 in Oregon, 25 in Washington!)
- Jeff Garner, BeeLicious Honey
- Chrissie Manion Zaerpoor, KOOKOOLAN FARMS, KOOKOOLAN WORLD MEADERY, and author of "The Art of Mead Tasting and Food Pairing"
What: InFARMation Portland
When: Tuesday, April 25 - Doors open at 5:30, discussion begins at 6:30
Where: Holocene (1001 SE Morrison) in Portland
Who: You and your Friends, all ages welcome
Cost: Free (with donations encouraged)
InFARMation takes place the last Tuesday of every month at the Holocene in Portland from 5:30 - 8:30 pm.