Our cooking demo chef Sara Calderon
is back! COVID restrictions prevent us from having cooking demos at the farmers market, but Sara will be hosting a virtual cooking demo on Zoom this Sunday, at 4pm
. If it goes well, we'll make it a regular feature!
For the Zoom link and password, email Sara at firstname.lastname@example.org
. This week, Sara will be making Roasted Fall Vegetables on Herb Salad.
Recipe: Roasted Fall Vegetables with Herb Salad
Prep Time: 15 min
Active Time: 35 min
• 1 fennel bulb with fronds
• 3 rainbow carrots
• 2 cups Brussels sprouts, (or substitute cauliflower or broccoli florets)
• 1 acorn squash
• 1 delicata squash
• 6 garlic cloves
• 5 Tbsp avocado oil, or olive oil
• 1 shallot
• sea salt & fresh pepper
• 1/4 cup parsley
• 1/4 cup mint
• 1/4 cup cilantro
• 2 whole limes, juiced
Roast the vegetables:
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Trim the fennel bulb into 1" wedges (reserve the fronds for later), and peel and cut the carrots into 1" pieces.
2. Cut the Brussels sprouts into halves, remove the seeds and trim the acorn squash into 1" wedges.
3. Remove the seeds from the delicata squash, slice it into 1/2 inch thick half-moons.
4. Peel and smash the garlic cloves but leave them whole.
5. In a large bowl, toss the prepared vegetables with the avocado oil and season generously with salt and pepper. Arrange in an even layer on 2 half sheet, or one large sheet pan.
6. Place in oven and roast for 40 minutes, rotating pans halfway through, until vegetables are tender and golden brown. Allow to cool slightly and arrange on a serving platter.
Pickled shallot and herb salad:
1. While the vegetables roast, slice the shallots very thinly and toss them with the lime juice and a pinch of salt. Let marinate for at least 10 minutes.
2. Tear the parsley, mint, cilantro and reserved fennel fronds by hand, just before serving. Toss with the pickled shallot and all of the lime pickling liquid. Arrange the dressed herb salad on top of the plated roasted vegetables and serve