I hope you are all doing well and have begun to find comfort in new daily rhythms during these challenging weeks. We have been thinking of all of you, knowing that each family is in a unique situation. Some are trying to juggle work and caring for children at home. Some of you may be experiencing financial difficulties. And all of you are trying to navigate helping your children with this new form of learning. Please let us know how we can help.
We have seen a lot of changes since our last communication to you regarding “distance learning.” Most importantly, of course, we now know that we will not be returning to our beloved building this year. This is hard, but we will work together and move forward together in the best way possible.
Thank you for responding to the survey in the Messenger. Your feedback is invaluable as we assess what is working and what is not. Many class teachers also sent out surveys. Please continue to let us know how things are going for you and your family.
We hear that students are wanting more “face time” with their teachers and with each other. And understandably so! Waldorf is an education that builds social connection in a unique way. We are all missing each other! In response to this request,the teachers have expanded the video conference schedule and will continue to make changes in the weeks to come.
What you can continue to expect
- Teachers will continue to meet and discuss new and innovative ways to approach learning during this time.
- Teachers will continue to post new and meaningful content to their google classrooms to engage their students in age-appropriate ways.
- Teachers will continue to assess student work and progress, answer questions, and provide feedback and encouragement. Class teachers will publish narrative year-end reports, which will touch on students’ progress with distance learning curriculum.
- There will be a pick-up this Monday, April 13 from 4:00-6:00 for any necessary supplies. Your child’s teacher will let you know if there are things that need to go home. There will be an all-school pick up scheduled later in the spring or early summer for non-essential student belongings and materials. Stay tuned for more details.
What is new
- All classes will be trying out additional opportunities for personal interaction via video conferencing platforms for both academic content and social connection. Class teachers will post new schedules in their classrooms. Look for new offerings in specialty classes this week.
- Parent / Teacher phone or video conferences will be scheduled in the next few weeks. Be on the lookout for a sign up coming soon.
- We are adopting a different strategy regarding grading in Middle School. We understand that some students are ill equipped to succeed in these current conditions. For that reason, we will not assign grades for the 4th quarter. This is a change to our original plan. The 3rd quarter interim grade will serve as the 2nd semester grade on the student’s transcript. Students may work to raise their grades, but they will not be penalized if they are not able to progress as they had earlier.
What we continue to ask of you, as students and parents
- Students should understand that distance learning is an important part of this year's school experience. We continue to expect students to make a good faith effort to engage in lessons and assignments, but we understand that this will look different for every individual and every family. We ask you to do what you can, given your particular circumstances.
- We invite students and parents to reach out to teachers with questions and feedback. See the office hours and response times posted on your child’s Google Classroom.
- Parents should try to provide a dedicated place and time for students to work at home. Following the suggested daily rhythm will be helpful, when possible.
- If your child is unwell and unable to participate in the daily lessons, please advise your Class Teacher.
We will continue to keep you informed of updates as they arise and hope you’ll stay in touch.
Best wishes for a happy and healthy time at home,
for the Faculty College