Office of the President
August 9, 2019
Feast of Saint Theresa Benedicta of the Cross
Dear Parents and Guardians,
It is my privilege to write to you once again as President of
The Damien Memorial School on this weekend before we begin a new school year during which your daughters and sons, because of your sacrifices, will, in the words of
Edith Stein, "Learn to live at the hands of God." Edith Stein was a Carmelite nun killed at Auschwitz on this date in 1942 and declared a saint by Pope Saint John Paul II in 1999.
While your student does not return until next
Monday, August 12th, our Faculty and Staff had two days of Retreat on August 1st and 2nd, and five days of professional development from August 5th to 9th.
Our retreat had the theme
Catholic Schools: Yesterday-Today-Tomorrow and the Professional Development days covered how to use the new technology, review of student behavioral management techniques, the philosophical basis of homework and practical, life-saving sessions on CPR/AED.
The 'take-back' days for the missed instructional days this week are:
- Wednesday, November 27: the day before Thanksgiving.
- Thursday, April 9: Holy Thursday.
- Monday, May 4: Founders' Day.
Orientation Day Monday August 12, 2019
Morning Session 7:45-11:15 a.m.
For students in Grades 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
Students arriving early should report to the cafeteria. All students should be in Homeroom by 7:40.
Breakfast & lunch will
be available on August 12.
Afternoon Session 12:05 p.m. to ...
For students in Grade 12
Program starts in the Bishop Scanlon Gym at 12:05 followed by homeroom and the President's Un-cocktail party for Seniors.
Dress on Monday August 12th for all students is full uniform for pictures:
Purple/black polo shirt
All white or all black socks & shoes
Approved Damien Jacket (optional)
A few reminders for the 2019-2020 School Year:
- The eBook fee is $115 per student and is payable at the school during the month of September.
- Phones: from the time a student arrives on campus until the end of the school day cell phones, ear phones or phone buds that are visible will be taken and a parent will have to come to the school to claim the item.
- If a student is going to be absent, an email is to be sent to: email@example.com. Upon return to school after the absence, a letter from the parent is brought to the main office.
- If a student needs to leave school early, the request is sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org. At the time to leave, the student meets the parent in the Main Office and is signed out.
- Experience has shown that there is a value to providing a hard copy of the Handbook for Students and Parents periodically. A copy will be given to each student on Monday, August 12th (please ask to see it). It can also be accessed online on our Parent Links page on the website.
Instructional Days: August 13-14, 2019 will both be Schedule A days.