PACE Case: Unexplained Fatigue
An 86-year-old male PACE participant with a history of diabetes, high cholesterol, hypertension, surgically debrided diabetic foot ulcers,
Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA), and iron deficiency anemia complained of constant fatigue. The medical director suspected that the participant's meatless diet was partially to blame for the fatigue and asked the CareKinesis clinical pharmacist to perform a Comprehensive Medication Review to rule out medications as the cause.
CMS Preclusion List and Precluded Providers
The new CMS Preclusion List, effective January 1, 2019, replaced the Medicare Advantage (MA) and prescriber enrollment requirements. The list documents providers and prescribers who are prohibited from receiving payment for MA items and services, or Part D drugs furnished or prescribed to Medicare beneficiaries. As of
April 1, 2019
, CareKinesis must reject any claims originating from providers listed. PACE programs are responsible for reviewing the list monthly and having a written compliance procedure in place. Please contact your CareKinesis Client Liaison with any questions.
Learn more about the CMS Preclusion List
CareKinesis at Upcoming Conferences
We look forward to seeing you at the following conferences:
- April 11-12 - North Carolina PACE Association Conference, Concord, North Carolina
- April 15-17 - National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization (NHPCO) Leadership & Advocacy Conference, Washington, D.C. (exhibiting under CareVention HealthCare banner)
- June 25 - CalPACE Passport - Tour. Taste. Toast., Sacramento, California
- October 13-16 - NPA Annual Conference, New Orleans, Louisiana
The North Carolina PACE Association Conference
The North Carolina PACE Association Conference in Concord on April 11 - 12, 2019 is just around the corner, and we're excited to network with you.
CareKinesis and Capstone Performance Systems team members will co-present during the following educational sessions:
Thursday, April 11
10:45 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
- Substance Use Disorders in the Elderly
Co-Presenter: Brenna C. Baals, PharmD, BCGP, CareKinesis
- Working Together to Prevent Falls
Co-Presenter: Kim Canduci, RPh, BCGP, CareKinesis
Friday, April 12
12:00 - 1:00 p.m.
- Caring about Care Documentation
Co-Presenter: George Brett, MD, Senior Vice President for Consulting Services and Chief Medical Officer, Capstone Performance Systems
CareKinesis President Named a Fellow of the American Pharmacist Association
CareKinesis President Orsula V. Knowlton, PharmD, MBA, was named a Fellow of the
American Pharmacists Association
(APhA) during the organization's 2019 Annual Meeting and Expo in Seattle, Washington, on March 22-25, 2019. The APhA Fellow Award honors APhA members for "exemplary achievements in professional practice and outstanding service to the pharmacy profession through activities in APhA and other organizations".
Read more about the award
Webinar - Best Practices in Pain Management: Opioid Pharmacologic Therapy Optimization and Monitoring
Back by popular demand! Join us on
Tuesday, April 16, 2019, at 3:00 PM EDT for another offering of the Best Practices in Pain Management: Opioid Pharmacologic Therapy Optimization and Monitoring webinar. This webinar is exclusively for CareVention HealthCare clients (Compliance Directors, Quality Managers, Medical Directors, PACE Prescribers, and Nurse Clinicians), and will be presented by Lisa A. Banks, PharmD, BCGP, Vice President of Clinical Initiatives, and Deborah Quillen, Client Development Liaison and Business Development Coordinator.
The webinar will provide an overview of topics that will help the attendee:
Registration is now open for CareVention HealthCare clients
- Explain the origination of the CMS opioid policies and the opioid epidemic.
- Understand the CMS opioid policies and safety alerts for Medicare drug plans.
- Review guideline-based approaches to pain management.
- Differentiate pain management treatment options, including clinical pearls.
- Understand considerations for safe and optimized opioid pharmacologic therapy.
If you've missed any of our past webinars,
for links to the recordings.
CareVention HealthCare News
Cognify's 3rd Annual User Group
Cognify's 3rd Annual User Group is quickly approaching and will be held on
April 9 - 10 in Charlotte, North Carolina
. The User Group, a prelude to the North Carolina PACE Association's Annual Conference, will feature new topics and multiple tracks with a focus on administration, clinical, compliance, and more. For more information, email
TruChart User Group
TruChart users, save the date for the annual TruChart User Group Meeting on
August 7 - 8, 2019
. This year's conference will be held in Moorestown, New Jersey, near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, at TRHC's administrative offices. Complete details will be forthcoming.
Peak Adds Precluded Provider Report to its Health Plan Management Portfolio of Services
Peak Health Plan Management has a new offering, which is one of several enhancements to customer service that Peak has implemented since May 2018. The Peak team is committed to working with clients to improve efficiency and satisfaction, and help ensure that they remain compliant with CMS regulations.
For more information about the new
Precluded Provider report
and other Peak services, visit
- 9 - Geriatric Immunization (CE Accredited Clinical Webinar)
- 11 - EireneRx 101 Training for New PACE Team Members (Webinar)
- 16 - Best Practices in Pain Management: Opioid Pharmacologic Therapy Optimization and Monitoring (Webinar)
- 23 - Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease Update (CE Accredited Clinical Webinar)