Other Holiday Hazards
Children, especially babies and toddlers, are constantly putting things in their mouths, noses, ears, and other places where they don’t belong. Holiday décor often glows, sparkles, and shines, so it is extra appealing! Here’s what you need to know about decorating safely:
• The liquid in “bubble” lights is very toxic.
• “Heirloom” ornaments and décor may contain lead or lead paint. Make sure these items are well out of reach of children.
• Snow globes made in the U.S. are usually filled with water. Those made in other countries have been found to contain toxic liquids like antifreeze.
• Oil used in a menorah can be very dangerous if swallowed!
If you are concerned about exposures to any of these items or other holiday décor, call the Poison Help hotline (1-800-222-1222). You can also get help through our online tool webpoisoncontrol.