Advent Wreath Making and Chili Cook-Off
Sunday, December 2, 2018
After the 10:30 am Service
The Advent Wreath-Making and Chili Cook-Off is scheduled for this Sunday immediately following the 10:30 service. Greenery and other supplies will be provided or bring your own to share. Chili contestants should sign up on the board in the narthex, or feel free to show up with any last-minute entries! Please bring any "fixin's" you would like to complement your chili.
Brotherhood of St. Andrew
The goal of the Brotherhood is to bring men and youth to our Lord and
Savior Jesus Christ. Our ministry rests on three disciplines: Prayer, Service, and Fellowship. We would like to welcome all new arrivals to St. Patrick's Church by inviting you to come to a future Brotherhood meeting, which usually occurs on the fourth Thursday of every month (except for the months of November and December). The Brotherhood meetings are scheduled from 6:00pm - 8:00pm. Usually we meet in the kitchen, which is adjacent to the church social hall. Dinner is served at 6:30. At 7:00 we begin reading the following Sunday's lectionary and also turn to prayer. We make ample time for socialization both before dinner and after 7:30.
It is "ok" if some brothers prefer to arrive early for dinner then leave after the meal. It is also understandable if some men find it difficult to arrive at the meeting before 7:00 because of traffic delays, family obligations, etc. We also request your RSVP for an accurate head count, so David White can purchase food and refreshments for the dinner. Please contact Bill Shaughnessy either
or 404-936-6850 (cell) for further information. Future meetings are scheduled as follows:
November 29, 2018 - 5th Thursday
December 20, 2018 - 3rd Thursday
January 24, 2019 - 4th Thursday
Malachi's Toy Collection Drive
Malachi's is hosting its annual toy party on Saturday, December 15, 2018 and we need your support. You may donate new, unwrapped toys and place them in the box in the narthex. Malachi's will also accept gift cards, gift wrap, tags, and tape. Cash donations are accepted.
to sign up to volunteer.
If you have not already done so, it is not too late to submit a pledge card. You can find them in the pew racks or in the church office.
Ministry Announcements Schedule
We will be taking a bit of time each Sunday during the services to share with you information about our ministries here at St. Patrick's. During this time, you may expect to learn about the purpose of the ministry, upcoming events, and how you can become involved. Below is the schedule of announcements for the next four Sundays:
December 2: Ushers
December 9: Endowment Board
December 16: Brotherhood of St. Andrew
January 6: Centering Prayer
Blessing Our Christmas Trees
During Advent, we sing,
O come, O come Emmanuel,
knowing that Emmanuel, God with Us is
We feel a sense of joyful anticipation that God may become ever more present to us.
Beginning this weekend, you will find burlap bags in the narthex that contain blessings to read before, during, and after you decorate your Christmas tree! Feel free to take one to share with someone else to help them remember and experience God's presence during the holidays, too!
Congratulations to John Ray and Victoria Jarvis as they are to be ordained as Deacons!
Sign-Up Deadline is December 16, 2018
The sign-up sheet is in the narthex. Please sign up now.
Saturday, December 8, 2018 at 4:00 pm
A Festival of Nine Lessons & Carols
As has become a Christmas tradition for Foyers, we will be gathering for the Emory University Nine Lessons and Carols on Saturday, December 8 at 4pm. For those who have been before, you know what a treat it is with new selections every year and for those who have never been, it is not to be missed.
We need to get an RSVP from those of you going as this concert typically is a sell out. I need to know how many tickets to buy at a group rate of $15 per person. You can reimburse me or purchase a ticket this coming Sunday at church. Or you may reimburse me at the concert if you are not going to be in church. Please send a confirming email to firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as you can so we can hold a ticket for you.
We will coordinate on carpooling from church for those who wish a ride. For those who wish after the concert, about 5:30 pm, we will walk to a nearby restaurant for some fellowship and fun in celebration of the season.
Thanks. Bill & Diane 404-702-8928
An Advent Invitation
Join Fr. Dick and Mo. Julia for an "at home" formation opportunity, as we read Walter Brueggemann's book,
Celebrating Abundance: Devotion's for Advent.
The book may be purchased online by clicking
On Monday, December 17, at 7 p.m., as you are able, we also invite you to join us in the parlor for a time to discuss our Advent journeys as related to our reading of Brueggemann's book.
It will be a joy to journey together.
Christmas - Save the Dates
SUNDAY MORNING OFFERINGS:
- Click here for registration form.
YOUTH CHRISTIAN FORMATION OFFERINGS - Click here for registration form.
Children's classes run from 9:00-10:15am.
- Nursery - Room 6: Care for infants and children up to age four is provided on Sunday mornings in Room 6, 8:30am-noon, with the wonderful Marias.
- Little Lambs - Room 6: Ages 3 and 4 begin in the Nursery, and then move next door to an adjoining room for a half hour of story, craft, and music, after which they return to the nursery for additional play time.
- Agape - Room 4: Kindergarten through Fourth Graders meet and use the curriculum "Living the Good News" and building community.
- Club 5/6 - Room 7: Fifth and Sixth graders meet and use the curriculum "Living the Good News," building community, and preparing to move into St. Pat's youth program the following year. Teachers design fun "field trips" around the church as part of the lesson.
- Music - 9:00-9:10am Kindergarten through fourth grade in their Sunday School room
- Music - 9:25-9:45am Club 5/6 in the Youth Music Room (Room 10)
Youth classes run from 9:00-10:15am.
- The Rites of Passage Class (Rite 13: 6th-7th Grades) - Room 12: A major component of J2A is the way it is structured around Rites of Passage that mark the transition of young people from childhood to adulthood.
- J2A Class (8th-9th Grades) - Room 3: This class begins a two-year preparation for a Holy Pilgrimage. This sacred journey has the potential to transform not just the young pilgrims who travel, but also the congregation who has sent them forth.
- YEA (10th-12th Grades) - Room 14: The YEA class has learned to pray, to share their faith with each other and they have traveled to sacred places where others have found God. This last piece of the journey into adulthood seeks to actively equip and enable them to be a part of God's healing presence in the world. Confirmation is offered in this class.
- Music - 8:45-9:00am J2A and YEA in the Adult Choir Room
- Music - 9:10-9:25am Rite-13, playing the bells in the Youth Music Room (Room 10)
ADULT CHRISTIAN FORMATION OFFERINGS:
Adult classes run from 9:15-10:15am.
- The Forum - Parlor: A book discussion group.
- Scripture Study - Room 8: The Constitution of the Kingdom of Heaven on Earth.
- Art Community - Room 15: Doing Art Looking Up.
- Dreams - Library: Listening to God.